Sep 27, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Hi,

Im not familiar with that particular kit but if its a coal mine then
this is what I done....

I sprayed all of the walls "Polly Scale Roof Brown" and the roof
was sprayed "Tamiya Olive Green Acrylic"

After it dried, I mixed 1:1 "Polly Scale Earth + Reefer White" and watered it down quite a bit. I then gave all of the walls a heavy coating of the watered down paint and set it aside to dry. While that was drying, I made up a 1:1 mix of "Tamiya Olive Green and White" and drybrushed the roof. I then made an even lighter mix of those two colours and done some more drybrushing on the roof. I have attached some photo's of my Coal Mine by "Model Power"... I havent quite finished it yet but its getting there....

Troy.

Attachments

• 123_2349.jpg
    123_2349.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 164

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Owen!
I've never really built that kit "out-of-the-box", but I have used pieces of it in other kitbashes...
http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2511&highlight=EVM+Maupin+Mfg
http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1581&highlight=Leigh+Foods
I just left the color as it was, but sprayed it with some Dullcote, & then dry-brushed with rust colored acrylics...
As far as when you paint it, it doesn't really matter, but I would want to paint it befire I put the windows in...

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Owen: I usually end up painting before and after assembly.
If the colour separation matches the part separation e.g. windows, doors, I do it before assembly. Kepp paint of the glue points.
Large flat surfaces are done first e.g. walls, roofs. Also any fiddly bits that get mounted close to other things. Any surfaces that will be hard to do later -- end walls, interiors,
After assembly, touch up the joints and places where the glue took off the paint. Then add weathering and colours that have to be continuous over joints or around corners.

guppyman

Dec 6, 2001
League City TX
www.railimages.com
Troy.... I know that kit you posted pics of...

Here's my version of the same...

I used a combination of browns, tans and whites... brushed on... The roof is just indian ink drybrushed on ... The "coal" on the bottom was sprayed with chalkboard paint (my usual black)... I may have done an overspray of the same black, I can't remember now.

abo.sized.jpg

Hey Owen , This is n scale Glacier Gravel but the wall sections are the same .
I left it the colors it was and assembled unpainted , then used a thick wash of rust on the tin , followed by a thin wash of black , followed by a overall white brybursh. Then hand painted the concrete with polly S concrete and black washed.
Then I put in the weather steaking and sprayed polly S dust over whole thing from the top.
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Mike

Attachments

• dscn0836.jpg
    dscn0836.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 125

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
oh, that coal mine !!

The first time I saw that coal mine, was in a three part scratch building article by Jack Work, that started in October 1959, in Model Railroader. I built it in HO scale, out of Balsa, and about two years later,blew it up with a small fire cracker.
This was a kit in HO some years ago, and I'm happy to see it again in kit form.
The article ran october, November, and I believe either Dec.'59, or Jan '60. If you have access to MRs that old you might be interested in how it was built.
Pete

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
This is the mine that Owen is talking about, (I think?)
It's part of the Walthers "Conerstone" series, & is offered in both N & HO versions...

Attachments

• newriver.gif
    newriver.gif
    60 KB · Views: 98

OwenCPR

Dec 23, 2003
Okotoks, Calgary AB Canada
Visit site
Charlie,

Hole in one!

I've also seen the previous one (I have a small version of it in kit from Faller awaiting construction).

I have two of the Walthers Kits but I want to have two separate mines located a short distance from each other (belong to the same company) instead of combining the two kits together and scratch building a "super mine"!

Thanks for all the tips guys. I've spraypainted the inside balck as I want to install lights in most of the buildings on the layout, and I've been told that even the small grain of rice bulbs can sometimes give the plastic "walls" a see-through effect if they are not painted black. I like the idea of leaving the colour and then giving it rust and black washes. But I also like the colour (albiet a bit more weathered) that Charlie posted from Walthers! All suggestions (and pics of similar projects to give me some more colour ideas) welcome!

Thanks