Kit-Bashed Coaches

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I finally got some brass wire and corrected the MDC truss rods so that they had a more "correct" look. Funny how big a difference one small detail can make in the over-all look of a project!

Dick

The diner/buffet

Attachments

• coachfin01.jpg
    coachfin01.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 88

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Your Coaches

Absnut,

Beautiful cars, nice bashing project! I have a MDC 2-6-0 on order and N scale supply has some under certain road names. I've had a MDC 2-8-0 for over a year now, THAT is an EXCELLENT running engine. As you can see at my "A Day on the A & T" thread I did add some detailing to it to make it more added on to. One more thing, it's seems that Bachmann' HO 4-6-0 should be coming out in N soon (this year?) there's a lot of chatter about it. Now that would really look cool at the head of your cars!

Bill Stone:

I know what you are saying about the boiler on the MDC 2-8-0 but I have a book of early steam and you should see the size of the boiler on a Colorado & Southern 1890's 2-8-0. If you modeled it in N you could put an HO sized motor in it. I guess boilers came in all sizes and like they say, "There's a Prototype for Everything".

:D

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hi Dick!

Only now I stumbled over this thread. These cars really look fine - great work!

You mentioned the Fleischmann 4-6-0. I had one on my N scale pike and I Americanized her a bit. As far as I remember (this was 25 years ago! :() she was a good runner, but a fairly bad puller. The tender with the motor was too light, so she slipped badly with only three coaches in tow.

Did you mean this lokey? (That's the only pic I found of her)

Ron

Attachments

• 4-6-0p8.jpg
    4-6-0p8.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 53

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Ron, it appears to be the same loco. However, Fleischmann must have made some improvements over the years because this one of mine will pull 8 coaches with ease up a 3% grade! I Americanized it a bit by removing the buffers, adding a cowcatcher and a bell.

Thanks TC.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Originally posted by absnut
Last bashing projects before finishing (can't buy a can of Dullcoat anywhere! :( ) Here's a B&M wood combine.

Looking good absnut. :thumb:

And what is this.... a worldwide shortage of Dullcoate? I can't get any either!!:cry:

Why don't they just make some more!! :curse: :mad: