Kit-Bashed Coaches

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I model northern New England, specifically B&M, MEC, and BAR and finding railroad specific equipment in N scale is sometimes hard to do. Inspired by the "Passenger Cars of New England" series, a need to have older passenger equipment, and the availability of MDC's 50 ft. open-platform coaches, I took razor saw and mitre-box in hand and with complete abandon, started hacking up four of the MDC coaches. I ended up with two 68-footers (approx) and one 63 footer. The results were pleasing enough to me and while not a perfect match for the prototype, the rule of "close enough" allows them to fit the bill. The bashing was very straight forward and simple allowing me to do the three in an afternoon and evening. Another afternoon saw the decaling done. One coach pictured below. I will do another batch soon trying to be more carefull using body putty.

Dick

Sorry about the slightly fuzzy photography.

Attachments

• coach11.jpg
    coach11.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 413

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
That looks great, Dick. I've done a few "cut and paste" bashes of old time passenger cars (in HO) and found it fairly easy, and gives good results. I'm surprised more people don't do it.

What do you use for period locomotives in N?

Bill S

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Hi Bill,

Period locos in N??? Therein lies another problem! I've got several of the steamers produced over the past 25 or so years but, unfortunately, many are quite modern looking, like Concor's J3a Hudson. For the time being , I'm using 3 Bachmann (new) 2-8-0's, an Atlas light Pacific, a Kato light Pacific (Americanized to the best of my current abilities!), and a "bashed" 4-6-0 built up from a Graham Farish (British) "Black Five". I have a Bachmann 4-4-0 but it is too early, too small. Hope is on the way with the possible release by MDC of a 2-6-0, which will fit into the scheme of things. I also have a pair of German 4-6-0's that I keep looking at with evil in my eyes but the original price of the things holds me from cutting into them. Fortunately, I can get away with the 68' coaches running into the late 40's, possibly early 50's, maybe being hauled by a BL2 or GP7 in commuter service.

One thing I will change on the coaches I have done and future efforts will be to replace the truss rod so that they actually run from the posts to the car body above the trucks.

Dick

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Very nice work, Dick! :cool:
I looked at the photo first, & just assumed it was HO!:eek:
I too, am encouraged by the improvements in N scale steam, & would love to see a Mogul, or 10-wheeler comparable in quality to the new Bachman 2-8-0!

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Absnut, looks excellent to me too. Unlike you I couldn't stop myself from ruining one of those high dollar German loco's. The drivers and pilot wheels was what I was after for a 4-4-0 project.

t.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
T,

What did you do to the German loco? I've got a Trix 4-6-0 with the rods from the cylinders connected to the first set of drivers. I also have the Fleischmann 4-6-0 which looks the most American or "Americanizable". It's this latter one I'm most interested in bashing.

Dick

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Sorry Absnut, I did'nt mean to mis lead you. I didn't bash the loco All I used from it were the wheels for an engine I'm building. They where the right size drivers and pilots plus they are good looking castings. I'm modeling in HO
Here is a shot of the of it so far.

Attachments

• portal7.jpg
    portal7.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 356

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
T,

No problem... the excitement has subsided just a little!:D That looks great. I wish I could do somethng like that in N. I also have a Graham Farish, British 4-4-0 that shows some promise. Thanks for the kind remarks about the coach.

Dick

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Last bashing projects before finishing (can't buy a can of Dullcoat anywhere! :( ) Here's a B&M wood combine.

Attachments

• bash02s.jpg
    bash02s.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 302

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
And, here's a B&M buffet/lounge (or could be a sleeper, I suppose). Excuse the fuzzy photography.... I'll get used to this new camera some day.

Attachments

• bash01s.jpg
    bash01s.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 295

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
About the MDC N 2-8-0..... In the pictures I've seen, the boiler seems to be way to big in diameter.
Probably to allow room for the motor.
Is it just my eyes, or is that the sort of unavoidables that N Gaugers have to sigh and put up with?
BillS

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Bill,

The MDC 2-8-0 has the motor located in the large tender. Dan, while I've heard it's a fine runner, it just doesn't "look right" for my purposes. I have three of the Bachmann 2-8-0's and they are just about perfection in looks and running.

Thanks to all for your kind comments.:) They were, really, an easy project.

Dick

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Beautifully bashed there Absnut, they radiate real character. I wonder why manufacturers don't make them. They are a delight to behold. Well done sir! (I also love the colour schemes).

Errol

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by absnut
....I have three of the Bachmann 2-8-0's and they are just about perfection in looks and running....

Hi Dick!
When I got back into N scale a couple of years ago, I just took it as a given that I would be modeling in a diesel era...I had long considered N scale steamers (the plastic ones anyway) to be the "Yugos" of the model railroading world...they were kinda cheezy looking, & they wouldn't run. :rolleyes:
Well, that opinion was changed, when I acquired one of the Bachman 2-8-0's...it is a detailing masterpiece, & performs as good as, or better than any of my Atlas, or LL diesels. I would love to see Bachman, or some of the other mfgrs. continue this trend in N scale steam.

I would also love to see one of those 2-8-0's pulling some of your exquisite passenger cars...that would make a handsome looking train indeed!