Kirkland Hill V1

CortezA

Aug 28, 2003
Visit site
I am going from an 4x10 to an around the room layout. I am having difficulties making the mental switch on how to layout the track. Here is my current track plan idea. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Details:

HO scale
DCC
Primarily 4 axle diesels
Both passenger and freight
Curves are 22"
The two yards have #4.5 switches in the inside and #6 to enter
All other switches are #6
The blue passing tracks could be a passenger stations
The green track could be an intermodal yard
The yelow benchwork would be either a duckunder and a lift-out section
The turntable would be an Atlas.
Benchwork height is 41"
The bechwork is 30" in depth, except in the obvious places.

Thank you,
Cortez

edge3.jpg

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Cortez,
The plan looks fine except I wouldn't put in the diamond (Crossover) Opposite the turntable, If you want to have 2 Continuous runs, I would suggest replacing the diamond with 2 pair of left and right points(Turnouts)
Also I like the double switchback area, makes for good switching of cars .
shamus

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
It looks like it has a lot of operating potential. If you are running primarily 4 axle diesel, is there a reason for the turntable and roundhouse? Unless you modify the Atlas turntable, it won't index on that many tracks that close together. Is there a reason why you have an odd shaped layout instead of a square if you could fill out the square you would get a longer mainline run? I'm not sure about the two spur tracks with the runaround off the inside main in the diagonal benchwork just to the left of the crossover. It looks as though any cars left there will foul the runaround so that it isn't usable. I would reccomend a runaround between the inside main and the first track at that location with the inside track being just a spur to serve an industry.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Originally posted by Russ Bellinis
... Unless you modify the Atlas turntable, it won't index on that many tracks that close together. ...
It looks like the tracks are 15deg apart - isn't that what the Atlas TT has?

CortezA

Aug 28, 2003
Visit site
Shamus:

I did have the 2 pair of turnouts like you suggested. The problem I found was that they did not fit completely on the liftout section or off of it. I could not find any other good places for it. I do like the idea of having two contnious runs but do not want to have a duckunder.

Russ:
The Atlas TT will hold that many tracks. I am not planning on doing that many. I have them there more to give me an idea of what could fit.
Believe or not, that is the shape of the room I am working with.
Could you elaborate on your comment on the "two spur tracks."? I do not understand.

Thanks for the feedback. I have only doing this for 8 months.

Cortez

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by CortezA

Could you elaborate on your comment on the "two spur tracks."? I do not understand.

Thanks for the feedback. I have only doing this for 8 months.

Cortez

Russ is talking about this section in the picture. If you put a car on either end of the "upper" track (furthest track from the main) then the run around will not be usable. You could extend the ends so that at least a car plus loco fit, but you might be better off with the run around attached to the main, and the two "upper" spurs not connected to each other...

Andrew

Attachments

• corteza layout.jpg
    corteza layout.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 302

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
More thot(s) on the "two spur tracks" area, how about just open it up and put a siding or two in there? Industry, scenery, a mine, logging camp or engine servicing facility? Without much thought, I came up with this drawin' Whatever you go with, it's gunna be NEAT :D :D :D

Attachments

• edge3.jpg
    edge3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 288

scoobyloven

Jan 13, 2002
zeeland michigan
Visit site
on that liftout why don't you try putting a switch at each end of the bench work the lift out one on one rail and the orhet one the other at the other end i had a lift out on my layout but i took it out after i had it hit by bortherzila when i was at the hospital with the wife and my boy would run under it and one day he did and bonk he smacked his head. if you have the room remove the lift out and make both ends a loop

CortezA

Aug 28, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the explaination of the spur track and runaround. I think I might lengthen the spurs. I like switching tasks. I do like jon-monon suggestion on how to modify the spur track area.

I do not have enough room to but in the loops and remove the liftout.

I am trying to integrate the suggestions for the liftout area.

Keep the great ideas coming.

Thanks,
Cortez

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
I saw a Plan once for a swing out bridge wired to cut power as Russ suggested somewhere amongst my many magazines.I thought this to be one of the best idea's of the bunch because it worked like a gate.Anyone remember this article?

CortezA

Aug 28, 2003
Visit site
I think that last month's MRR had an article on doing a swing out section. I decided to do a drop down section. I wanted to do a draw bridge but I could not find hinges that would work. When, and if, I find them, I will convert the bridge to a draw bridge.

Here are some pictures of what I did.

Thanks,
Cortez

bridge1.jpg

bridge2.jpg

bridge3.jpg