Killin' Receivers

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by rockn82, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Ok, I just can't get this one narrowed down. I have a savage and I am now on reciever #3. The first reciever (a hitec micro bec) lasted two days. The second (hpi rf-2) and I am just about to put in another hitec. The problem is that everything works fine for about two hours then I lose control for about a second and it picks up again. Soon after that the receiver is dead. I have tested the servos, the transmitter and the crystals. They are fine. Any Ideas? Could one of my servos be putting too much load on the receiver and killing it? I know it takes alot to turn the savage but I figured that 133oz's metal geared servo would have been fine. I am perplexed... By the way I am running 6V via alkalines.
  2. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

Try contacting HPI it a question regarding their truck and a stock receiver. If its still under warranty I would expect them to exchange it for you. Good luck!
  3. Try going stock on the batteries
  4. Jshaff15

Jshaff15 Member

I agree with danny you may just be overloading the reciever. Also give hpi a ring and see what they say.
  5. Yea its your battery pack.....most 6v battery pack when fully charged will go up as much as 7 Volt and maybe even more. Your receiver can only handle as much as maybe 6.5 volts.....sounds like your frying your receiver......try putting a diode in series with the positive side lead of the battery....the diode will sink 0.7 volts and bring your battery pack voltage down.....or you can go buy a BEC connector with a 6 volt regulator on it.......
  6. timrock

timrock Active Member

you should be using a 4.8 volt pack Nicads.when they are charged they are under 6V
    6V is too much for the reciver.i am alsmost positive that is the problem.

alkilines messed up one of my recievers.
  7. mastmec

mastmec Member

tim, 6 volts is what it needs, what do you think 4 alkis are, 6 volts, your electric cars operate at 6 volts.
    Rock, you have some other problem, like frayed wires causing a short either @ the batt. pack or servos or maybe crossed wiring. Also make sure you wrap the RX in some dence foam to protect it from vibrations. Also try a good 5 cell NiMH pack, it will give you a lot better control of the truck, the alkis don't put out enough amps to give the servos what they need to work properly at full potential.
  8. atc1100rider

atc1100rider Member

i didnyt know you could have to many amps going in i figured it would be crossed wires to does it smell after it gets fried?
  9. timrock

timrock Active Member

5 volts is what it needs not more than 6v.thats for sure.
  10. mastmec

mastmec Member

You want to start that crap again?
  11. A J G 3 6 6

A J G 3 6 6 Member

Hahaha....I agree with mastmec.
  12. A J G 3 6 6

A J G 3 6 6 Member

Comeon,just go to bed already
  13. A J G 3 6 6

A J G 3 6 6 Member

Your just cranky...go to bed,or are you scard you wet your bed?
  14. A J G 3 6 6

A J G 3 6 6 Member

your just insecure,you think to highly of your-self
  15. timrock

timrock Active Member

mastec and ajg366 are wrong.more than 6v will mess up the Rx
  16. mastmec

mastmec Member

Who said MORE than 6 volts?
  17. timrock

timrock Active Member

you did a-hole
  18. timrock

timrock Active Member

you should learn about this stuff before you give addvice.
  19. mastmec

mastmec Member

Where do I say "more than 6 volts"
  20. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Ok Fellas and you, 6V is exactly what a reciever runs on. That is why you get two torque ratings on a servo. One at 4.8V and one at 6V. I bit the bullet and replaced everything, except the Transmitter. MX3 aint cheap Lol. New Servos, battery box, on/off switch, reciever, crystals, and batteries. Now here is the really dumb part. Same thing happened. About two hours and glitch, glitch, glitch, but I noticed it only glitched when I turned the wheels either direction...Which really #@$% me off more after spending 150$ in electronics. To make long story short the first reciever killed because of vibration (not taped down and board cracked). The second died because of unknown causes. ??? the newest one eats batteries in 2hours. Brand new ones. 2 Hours and time to replace. Boy does that suck. So as far as I can tell, I think, think is the keyword, low batteries killed the second one, and I feel dumb LOL. I had the exact same setup in my Nitro MT and the batteries lasted weeks. I guess it never occurred to me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.