Ki-115 Tsurugi Modelik nr 20/04 1:33

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cgutzmer, Oct 4, 2006.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Glad you all like it! Already started my next build :) you will see it in the free model comp thread :)
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Here is the complete build thread without the extraneous stuff - want to see othre threads done like this (but most likely put somewhere specific for easier access)
    I hope to do tutorials like this too (carl's)

Attached Files:

3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is very nice, Chris!

Can you give a little insight on how you did it? I've printed stuff to PDF before, but of course that gets it all. How did you strip out some posts?

4. Chris, while I haven't had time to comment a lot lately, I've read all the discussion about 'clean build threads' and other stuff. Seems to me that too much is being made of too little. These threads are about discussion so eliminating that discussion makes little sense and would truly detract from both purpose and content of the threads.

As for needing these threads posted as PDFs, it also seems like swatting flies with a hammer. I regularly grab these threads using Acrobat. Takes seconds. Those who don't want to do this can simply save a bookmark. By contrast, storing a whole series of PDFs of existing threads simply doubles storage requirements for the list.

Cheers --- Larry
  5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Just to add to Larry's comments, which I totally agree with. If one does not care for comments in a build thread, one can simply skip over reading them.
    Not too awful hard, I suppose.

Oh yeah, I'm certainly not trying to down your efforts Chris. Your work in trying to please and help others on the forum is greatly appreciated by all, I am sure. Don't give up trying, my friend.:grin:

6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I change my forum defaults to show 40 posts at a time (wish I could do more but thats the max)then copy and paste into word. I go through and remove all the extra stuff then save it as a pdf. Its not hard and it took me about 25 minutes to do the whole thing.

I did not take out any discussion that pertained to building the model at all. Only posts that only said good job (those are nice while building without a doubt but not needed for this) or were totally off topic.

If you like the threads enough to grab them with acrobat that reinforces my decision to create more pdf's. When I make them in word then clean them up and make pdf's it makes a much nicer final product (my opinion only) than a simple adobe capture of the thread. Honestly I really didnt take out all that much....

For the storage space I already ran it by Rick and he gave it the go ahead. I would hope if space became an issue that Rick or Peter would let me know.

Oh yeah - whats wrong with swatting flies with a hammer - it can be great fun (at least on the workbench - the wife gets mad when I do it on the kitchen table) heh heh

To me its not about getting rid of the extraneous info only, I wouldnt do much effort just for that. Its making a nice downloadable document that outlines the entire build process. I think one of the german forums does this too and I really like those..... For instance say my dad wants to get into paper modeling (yeah I am in the process of getting him hooked) pretend he has no internet access and he wants to know the basics of card modeling. I download carls great tutorials that have been converted to pdf and put them on a cd for him. Maybe if someone in the future wants to build the same model as me but also cant figure out the polish instructions but doesnt want to come online everytime he wants to look at some pictures (which I did A LOT at the german site that had a similar build to mine) the can download it and view to their hearts content.

To all: I dont want to give the impression this is just to remove unneeded info - I envision it as more than that.
    Thanks for the replies guys - I appreciate the input both pro and con :)
  7. josve

josve Active Member

Hello Chris!

I really have enjoyed following your build!
    You have done a very nice job on that aircraft!
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Well now, that certainly made it sound more worthwhile!

Thanks Chris, I stand corrected!:grin:

9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

A PDF makes it easier to send/show novice/naive people to explain what is involved with card modeling. "No it's not like paper more like constructing a real thing":roll:

Also you can print out a PDF and use it, in say a display, where pointing people to a thread link makes then have to go away from the display and see what you are talking about.

I for one like it. Thanks Chris.