Keystone Shay

cascademan

Nov 11, 2005
Does someone out there know were I can get a HO NWSL Keystone Shay powering kit. Walthers didn't have any and for some reason everytime I enter the HO walther code it shows me the HOn3 powering kit. Wierd. Does anyone have one and wants to sell it.

Cascademan

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
NWSL had halted production of all 3 versions (HO, HOn3, HOn30) waiting for some parts from Keystone - frame pieces of harder metal. They will ship without those pieces upon your request. I don't know if NWSL has resumed production of not.

Also the powering kits come up on eBay periodically, although most sellers package the Keystone and NWSL kits together. Prices have been surprisingly high to me - more than retail in many cases.

I have also located the powering kits at Caboose Hobbies and some other well-stocked hobby shops by calling around - cheaper than eBay in most cases.

Be aware there were 2 types of NWSL powering kits. The early version used a Flea drive arrangement, which did not directly drive or gear all axles. The more modern version directly drives all axles, but introduces binding from the gearing of the line shafts forming a "closed" mechanical loop. Best solution to opening the loop appears to be arranging for the male side of one of the sliding joints on the line shaft to slip inside it's mate.

yours in sa-Shaying