Keystone Locomotive Works bandsaw mill

Discussion in 'Logging, Mining and Industrial Railroads' started by rlundy90, Oct 6, 2007.

1. rlundy90

rlundy90 Member

Hi. I was wondering if any of you know where I can get these windows for a Keystone Bandsaw mill. I need 3 large and 1 small window. The kit I have is missing them and I don't think keystone produces them any more. At least I haven't seen them listed with their other items. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ron.

Attached Files:

2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

grandt line makes a ton of windows in plastic, and I am sure you could find some suitable enough. Even if the style is slightly different, it's still plausable because in real life, broken windows get replaced all the time, and on a mill, it only matters if they function. You could also build the kit as if some of the windows had been boarded up, or replaced with a vent fan of some sort...

3. rlundy90

rlundy90 Member

I've checked out all the plastic stuff. Campbells comes the closest. SS Ltd has some that are fairly close in cast metal also. I was thinking of changing them all to the SSltd windows but there are so many would cost a fortune.Was hoping perhaps someone knew where there was some old stock Keystone stuff.Boarding up a few is a great idea though. I didn't think of that. Thanks. Ron.
  4. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

The other alternative would be to clean up one of the windows, make a mold of it, and cast new ones in resin. Just a thought.
  5. rlundy90

rlundy90 Member

That sounds like an even better idea. Keep em comin guys. Thanks. Ron
  6. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Then again, if you really want an ambitious task, you could scratchbuild them all in wood! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:
  7. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

If you look into resin...I wouldn't try to use alumilite for those...too difficult to get it to reproduce fine details (unless you have a pressure pot). I'd check out a lower viscosity resin. I say this because alumilite is common (and expensive)...but it'd cause great headaches when attempting to duplicate the mutton bars in those window castings. You could use a rubber mold like what alumilite sells...but then cast with white metal instead.