Keystone area in Colorado

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
We'll be at Keystone Jan 28-Feb 1. Wondering if there is something wonderful related to trains we must see if we need a break from the slopes (which I suspect with a 4 year old).

Anyone?:D

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
Ok, I looked it up and its quite a ways... too far to ask the entire family to go while we are there, is there something there??? In case we travel westward again???

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
If you are flying in to Denver there are a couple of train museums. Great year to ski, it's snowing right now even. I suppose canon city is too far away but if you ever are in southern colorado the ride in the royale gorge is great

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
I have only traveled west a handful of times in my life. While I like to travel, for some reason I like to use the Mississippi river as a west boundary. Guess the land is just too big for me out there! Anyhow, my step dad is taking us on this ski vacation (isnt that NICE?) and I dont want to ask him to go too far out of his way for trains, but he is very flexible, so if something is in the general area, I am sure we can work it in.

Last year we were in Montana Kalispell I think...forgot the name of the resort we drove to - something like Big Mountain. ANyway the town there has a nice nice nice railroad museum and apparently a short run through national park and even maybe into canada. It looked like an amazing ride, but it only went one way that day apparently or something and we wouldnt have had a way to get back without sacrificing a day of our vacation. So we skipped it. Kinda wish we had gone... bummer.

But after being one of the first units on the ?Amtrak? wreck in Silver Spring, MD in 1996, I am a little skittish to ride trains in the snow. I know its mostly ok, but once you see that stuff, you tend to avoid situations similar.

Ok, enough rambling.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
hiscopilot said:
I have only traveled west a handful of times in my life. While I like to travel, for some reason I like to use the Mississippi river as a west boundary. Guess the land is just too big for me out there! Anyhow, my step dad is taking us on this ski vacation (isnt that NICE?) and I dont want to ask him to go too far out of his way for trains, but he is very flexible, so if something is in the general area, I am sure we can work it in.

Last year we were in Montana Kalispell I think...forgot the name of the resort we drove to - something like Big Mountain. ANyway the town there has a nice nice nice railroad museum and apparently a short run through national park and even maybe into canada. It looked like an amazing ride, but it only went one way that day apparently or something and we wouldnt have had a way to get back without sacrificing a day of our vacation. So we skipped it. Kinda wish we had gone... bummer.

But after being one of the first units on the ?Amtrak? wreck in Silver Spring, MD in 1996, I am a little skittish to ride trains in the snow. I know its mostly ok, but once you see that stuff, you tend to avoid situations similar.

Ok, enough rambling.

I just looked up that incident. The snow had nothing to do with it at all. period. it was the fault of the Enginer on the train that crashed into you who screwed up big time. That and there was inadaquate saftey on that paticular stretch of track.

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
Psychosomatic, dear. I was one of the first RESPONDING EMERGENCY units on the scene. Plus they didnt have conclusive anything for a while of course. So the initial speculation had to do with the cold temps (this was a rare occurrance blizzard there) and high moisture, blah blah blah. So it went in my mind that way. EVen if it isnt right it still causes that fear. Kinda like seeing a plane crash or the wreckage and being scared to fly even though statistically its so much safer than getting in your car... :)
pic6.jpg

pic3.jpg

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
CNWman: I believe you are referring to the Empire Builder (Amtrak) which runs East-West on the BNSF trackage. It is possible to make connections from Whitefish (Big Mountain Ski resort) to go East through Glacier Park and then return the next day on the westbound. Of course we would like you to stay several days and enjoy more of Montana. There are quite a few static display loco's of various types here in MT. Everything from Shays to Little Joe, Milwaukee Road Electrics. There is an operating 30 inch gauge 2-8-0 at Virginia City state park.In Missoula there are two loco's, a ten wheeler (NP) and a Willamette Shay (ex Diamond Match Company)

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
Thats the one! Hopefully we will get the chance to go back up there. I thought that was where we were going this year but he moved out of that vacation house last year and so we're off to Colorado this year.

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
:thumb: I don't believe the Georgetown loop is running this time of year but the Colorado reilroad museum is in Golden, just west of Denver. If you're in Denver long enough and you're a model railroader, you absolutely have to go to Caboose Hobbies. It's the Mecca of model railroad hobby shops!!

Dick
Texas Chief

nhguy

May 14, 2003
Sugar City,Colorado
rides.webshots.com
hiscopilot said:
We'll be at Keystone Jan 28-Feb 1. Wondering if there is something wonderful related to trains we must see if we need a break from the slopes (which I suspect with a 4 year old).

Anyone?:D

Coming Back to Denver stop at Golden and the Colorado Railway Museum.
http://www.crrm.org/

And Coors it right next door. http://www.coors.com/

The Forney Trnasportation Museum in Denver. They've got Big Boy 4005 and a couple other engines. A lot of old vintage cars and trucks. http://www.forneymuseum.com/

Nothing else id actually running this time of year in that area except the Ski Train.
http://www.skitrain.com/

Enjoy your ski trip.