"Kettering Aerial Torpedo" World's firsl UAV/Cruise Missile

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by RocketmanTan, Sep 11, 2010.

1. RocketmanTan

RocketmanTan Well-Known Member

Well, my latest project is one from the early days of aviation: the First World War. It is the Kettering Aerial Torpedo, or Bug.
    The missile worked on something like a clockwork mechanism: the plane's prop would spin its pre-programmed amount of spins. Once it reached that limit, the wings would fall off, and the fuselage would fall back to the earth.
    link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kettering_Bug

The fuselage is complete, and now I am left with the arduous task of designing the wings wall1
  2. Gerald43

Gerald43 Member

Great! What you are so find and I like it!
  3. RocketmanTan

Thanks for the support, Gerald! :thumb:

I have attached here screenshots of the parts sheets. They're crappy in quality as to deter pirates, and I didn't design a launch dolly because, well, one page couldn't hold the main parts :confused:

Build pics coming soon :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

4. RocketmanTan

build pics

Well, the wings turned out as good as I had expected, although the model seems very basic. However, I think it's alright :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

5. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Definitely looking good so far, some little cylinders lined off for cooling fins should be an easy finish. Reinforcing the launch dolly might be a challenge unless you designed each side as one piece with an overlapping center section and axle bits.
  6. Gerald43

Gerald43 Member

Hoffentlich geht es bald weiter :wave:

Hopefully it will soon continue