KenLWest's F-84 Build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cdavenport, Apr 14, 2009.

1. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

With apologies to Ken for the grossly late start, I'll explain that my initial start months ago failed due to the size of the model and the method of construction.

Ken was nice enough to rescale the model to 1/20 for me. But, that created a problem trying to get the Red River metallic foil to hold contour using the traditional method of assembly.

So, I shelved the project and, as I am wont to do, ruminated on a solution. The solution is presented here. I'll start cutting this week. The model is 16.5 inches long...big & sassy, just like I like 'em!

I purchased a plan set from Bob Banka's Aviation Plans for a few bucks, overlayed the plan in AutoCad (cause, that's what I know) and redrew the cross sections and outlines to scale using Ken's basic dimensions as a guide.

What you have here is basic frame, a method I wish all designers used. I will fill the gaps with high density, expanded polyurethane foam and carve/sand to a final shape. You'll see more later on. I would have had this finished last week, but I caught that Damned Conficker worm on April 1!

Attached Files:

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

This will be very interesting too watch - looking forward to it! :)
  3. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Fuselage construction

This latest series of shots shows my progress to date. The model measures 16.5", stem to stern, in 1/20th scale. I made minor corrections to the bulkheads as I assembled the model; redrawing from a set of imported plans induced some errors.

This is my preferred method of construction, foam on frame. The foam gives me a solid base onto which I can skin the model. Yes, it adds time to construction. But, it prevents unsightly seams and skin sinkage that often occurs around the bulkhead joints.

#1 is an overall shot with some, but not all, foam in place. Before I foam the nose, I will have to install the intake strake in the nose.

#2 is a shot of the wing mounts, circled in black. These are sized to fit the wing spars with the correct dihedral already set.

#3 shows the tail pipe. The rudder is removable for skinning.

#4 shows the area that will become the cockpit.

Once the intake strake is in place and I skin the interior of the intake, I can complete the foam job.
    Attached Thumbnails
    kenlwests-f-84-build-img_1597.jpg kenlwests-f-84-build-img_1598.jpg kenlwests-f-84-build-img_1599.jpg kenlwests-f-84-build-img_1600.jpg

Attached Files:

4. David H

David H Member

They look like hefty bulkheads!

5. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I use LetraMax 2000 Illustration board which is 3/32" thick, a necessity when building a model this big that will be supported by a cantilever mounting point in the wing.