kenilworth hms victory

Tirta

Hi All,

I am interested in these kenilworth paper ships:
hms victory
lady elizabeth

Are these good detailed model of the ships? or just simple models for kids?

Is there some good detailed pictures of these models on the internet?
Please advice.

Best regards,

Tirta

J.L.

Excellent question Tirta. I too have seen this Kenliworth model in the listings. Interested in hearing what people have to say. I know exactly what you mean. A first rate ship-of-the-line (100+ guns) such as HMS Victory could be wonderfully detailed in printed form. My first experience with paper modelling as a kid was assembling an
English model of the Great Harry, Henry the Eight's flagship. It was a waterline model and the masts were triangular.
Hope you get lots of response.
J.L.

R

rickstef

it is a book,

from the excellent line of Osprey books, very informative, and well written

Rick

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, all! :D

I was wondering if anyone has the Victory model from Kenilworth and can tell us what scale it is in...it seems a bit small in size to be 1/96th scale, which is the scale of the Shipyard kit, perhaps it is 1/200 or so. I also wonder what degree of detailing is used in the design, as in many of the smaller scales it is difficult to make the cannons, fiferails and similar deck details detailed enough to be convincing and so they seem to simplify the construction of such details, at least that has been my experience. Not that you can't add to the kit, I just wonder how Kenilworth handled it in this kit.

I am trying to find out more about the HMS Victory design and might even be tempted to pick one up, although I already have too many projects in the wings to seriously consider starting another kit in the near future. I am hoping one of the dealers I patronize on a regular basis can provide more information, and if they do I will let you all know.

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

I received further details of this model kit from Ralf of Lighthouse Model Art which he graciously has permitted me to share with you.

The kit is a very, VERY simple model, not much detail is provided, the kit is essentially a very basic shell of the hull, the print quality is not what we expect today as it appears to be based on the Micromodels kit from a number of years ago. As such, it has very basic parts, and uses a somewhat crude design in construction. Not what I would look for in a model kit in today's market.

The value of this kit would appear to be mostly in it's collector's status, but as for permitting one to build even a somewhat accurate model, it does not fit the bill. The photo provided on the cover is very different from what the kit will provide; I'm not sure what model the photo is of, but it's apparently not the kit itself.

I wish to thank Ralf for taking the time and effort to provide the details on this kit and hope this makes clear what this kit actually provides.

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Your welcome, Tirta: :D

I must mention I also received additional info from Peter Heesch of H&B Precision Card Models who was kind enough to supply a photo of the finished model...he personally built this kit and his photo of her looks very nice, but it's certainly a smaller scale than the Shipyard kit so the degree of detail provided by the kit is most likely not the same. I have to think the price reflects the collectable status of this kit (it's still cheaper than the Shipyard kit), but I can't make a better estimate of the size or scale of the kit until I get the dimensions or see it myself.

Cheers!

Jim