Keeping your tracks clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
I noticed in another thread the various methods of track cleaning, so I thought I would show just what I have been using for the last 30 years. Long before “Centreline” brought out their roller on wheels made out of brass, I had thought about a contraption, which could alleviate the tedious method of track cleaning, and came up with the following ideas.

1) Track scrubber using very fine Wet/dry emery paper
2) A cleaner that rolled around using Isopropyl Alcohol soaked into a cloth (Jiffy)
3) And a cloth cleaner to clean off the residue afterwards. Again using Jiffy cloth.
All my units being used at once, the scrubber followed by the rolling cleaner followed by the stationery dry cleaner.

clean01.jpg

The first unit to do its job is what I call a scrubber using 800 wet/dry paper (Very fine)

This unit has a sprung weight with the paper on it and is pressed onto the tracks. Needless to say the unit itself is quite heavy being made out of steel.

clean02.jpg

clean03.jpg

The second unit has a revolving wheel, which actually rolls on the track; the roller is solid stainless steel and has a jiffy cloth around it to serve two purposes. 1) to allow the Isopropyl Alcohol to be soaked on it and 2) to stop a dead short across the tracks.

clean04.jpg

The last unit is similar to the second but the roller doesn’t revolve, it stays still and picks up the gung. The roller needs to be rotated occasionally to allow a clean part onto the tracks.

clean05.jpg

For those wishing to make a roller for your selves, it is quite easy. A piece of Aluminium (for H0 and 0n30) 5” long by 1 ½” wide and 3/8” thick is needed. Stainless steel rod ¾” diameter with a 1/8” clear hole in the centre. One stainless steel rod 1/8” by 1 ½” long.

clean06.jpg

clean07.jpg

clean08.jpg

Shamus

Status
Not open for further replies.