Keeping scale in Pepakura.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rebostar, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Rebostar

Rebostar I do try

Hi all, very nice forum you have here.

I have created a model that is split into 20ish part for ease of use within Pepakura. If I import them all together its just to big to manipulate with Pepakura limted zoom and pan function. So is there any way to load them into Pepakura individually, snip them up, and still keep the same scale across the whole model?.

I tried the hard way (loading them all at once) with my Halo gun but the eyestrain and frustration was unreal.
    I use sketchup to make my 3d files if thats any help.

Is there an alternative to Pepakura. Please don't say Autocad :-? as that confuddles me silly. I want this to be a hobby not a chore.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Rebostar,

First welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you here. Now, onto the problem. I am not sure whether I understood correctly, but are each of the "parts" saved as individual files? I have never used "sketchup" or "halo" and so I dont really know anything about how they operate. But, if it started out as a complete 3d model and you are able to break it up into "parts", then just save the "parts" individually in a "new folder" titled whatever you named the model ie...."Model parts". In that folder you would have "part a", "part b", "part c", etc....
    Then you would open each individual part in pepakura one at a time and unfold them.
    Now it may be that you have gotten that far and I just didnt understand, so if thats the case and scaling of the individual parts are your main trouble, then...... I would think you would need to take care of the scaling issue back in the 3d design program you used to "break" down the individual parts.
    However, like I said, I am unfamiliar with the programs you use. I personally use a free program I found by searching called "Anim8or". It allows you to open 3d models in several formats and save in several formats as well as change the type format when saving. You can also create models in it. It has a downloadable .pdf instruction manual that is very comprehensive and answers most of your questions. This program will also "animate" 3d models, although that is a function I have not even bothered with attempting.
    It also has a scaling feature, you can convert to meshes, splines etc.. you can do textures, it has most any thing you need and is not a large program. And with the instruction manual (about 100 pages in .pdf in any of several languages) you can flip from your work screen to the instructions with ease.
    And of course, you can use this program in conjunction with Pepakura.
    I hope that I might have been a little bit of help to you, if not, I am sure someone else more familiar with your programs will jump in soon and help you out.

Again, welcome to the forum and have a nice day,

Greg aka GW
  3. Rebostar

Rebostar I do try

Thank you for the quick response.

Sorry it was me, I didn't explain myself well.

As you've understood i've split the parts into individual files so I can load them seperately. When I load them one at a time and the part is unfolded the image just uses all the available space. So parts end up being out of scale with each other. See example below.
    The first image is a disc loaded on its own, the second image is the same disc loaded with a box, see how the size of the parts change? The actual size should be smaller than both of those images.

Attached Files:

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy again Rebostar,

Hmm, well I am not that familar with all the controls of pepakura, I try to do all of my scaling in my 3d program when I can or if I have to, I take the unfolded parts to my photo editing software and just work with them till I get it right.
    Thats the thing I dislike about programs with no instructions, that was why I was so happy to find the anim8or 3d modeling had tons of instructions lol.
    But, I wanted this thread to stay ontop so that maybe someone will answer it and be able to help you, so hopefully someone will come thru for ya on this problem.

Good luck and and I will be following this thread too, since I have had similar troubles in the past and it would be nice yto know how to fix them in pepakura.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  5. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Okay...let me see if I remember something NOBI once told me about Pepakura correctly. If I am wrong, I am sure someone with knowledge, hopefully, someone with knowledge, will correct me.

When you open the Create Development window with the entire model, click on the second box and set your assembled size. Note the scale size at that point. If you seperate all your parts to unfold them that way, then use that scale size on all of the parts.'ve done that and unfolded the model and find it is a bunch of little pieces. You can under some instances fix that problem by right clicking in the unfolded area and selecting Join Surface. Parts which can be joined on edges are shown in red. By clicking on a red part edges, the corresponding part which lies next to it on the model will be shown. A line will point to the part with an arrow on pointing to the join area you clicked on. Clicking again will join the two parts with the part being moved to the part with the arrow pointing at it. If you want to move the part to the other edge, move the mouse cursor to it and click. You need to do that with all parts until you have the pieces the way you want them.

I may still not understand the problem, but I have seen when I tried to unfold various models, the size changed when I allowed it to Auto Calculate. When I asked about that, I was told to do what I mentioned above.
  6. Rebostar

Rebostar I do try

Ashrunner your a star.....that snippet works a treat!.

The rest I knew, but still handy for others to refer to in the future.
    I'm so glad I joined up here to spend the early hours snipping.

Thanks again Ashrunner.:D

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Ash,

Yeah thanks for the tip, they say ya learn something new every three days, so, I am gonna take saturday and sunday off lol and prepare for Monday lol. Really though, thanks for the tip, you helped two ppl with that one.
    And Rebostar, we all hope to see some photos of your work sometime soon....and thanks for asking the question you did.

have a nice day,

Greg aka GW