KC-135R photos at 1:120 scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by airbob, Jul 17, 2006.

1. airbob

airbob Member

This is the photos I have just taken of my finished beta build of the KC-135R...a lot of little tires for these main wheel bogies!!! Apparently the clarksvegas site is down so I'm not sure what I'll do with the plates since I have no way to distribute/ upload the plates for download!!http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/images/smilies/64.gif

Attached Files:

2. hpept

hpept Member

Wonderful model... i want it!!!
  3. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Me Too!!!!!! :-D
  4. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

It looks great. I do not mean to be a critic. But on the belly your missing the IFR lights. Just forward of the gear doors. But it does look great.
  5. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I have a graphic of the underside of the KC-135 which shows the position of the director lights used for in-flight refueling line-up.

If you want it, PM me with a good email and I'll zip it over your way.

6. Texman

Texman Guest

About posting the plates, you could probably put them in the parts
    bin right here!

7. airbob

airbob Member

KC-135 IFR get in my belly!

DWG and Ashrunner, :oops: yes I have sadly neglected the belly on this bird:cry: ...I know there are yellow stripes on the belly of the earlier 135's and this can be added If you'all want it....apparently later version don't always have it...Ashrunner....please forward the belly pics to me for the IFR placement...I have one one good belly shot...appears phallic-like!.... my email bbendorf@charter.net I shall diligently apply myself to correct this error...in as time allows:wink:
  8. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Beautiful! Another addition to the list of the best available free models!

Scott K.
  9. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Well done Bob that is a beautiful bird :-D
  10. dhanners

dhanners Member

That is one FINE looking model. Great work.

And if there's some way to get one, sign me up.
  11. airbob

airbob Member

KC-135R photos and plates

My website is back up at the Clarksvegas site...:grin: I have corrected the IFR light bars on the lower fuselage...I have elected to use a elongated oval bar that fits on top of this portion of the fuselage to allow this to be folded in the middle to give the approximate right angle surfact that puts the lights in the corrrect relation to the fuselage...this is then glued to the outside of the fuselage to give the starboard and port light bars....DWG- Thanks for pointing this out...it was on my mind...but sometimes when desiging a monster lide the KC-135....you temporarily LOOSE:-? your mind! I will upload these corrected plates sometime in the next 2 weeks after final "trimming" :) site location: http://www.clarksvegas.com/bob/gallery2/main.php
  12. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Absolutely beautiful!
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Thanks airbob............ This is a Great Plane and you did a wonderful job with the model so that all can see her!

14. airbob

airbob Member

KC-135R assembly

I wanted to add that the assembly on this bird is unconventional...especially with respect to the mainwing root cover....I would recommend reviewing the process as shown on construction of the Boeing 707 at the website and trying this construction step....lining up the mainwing spar holes with the cutout in the fuselage is a very frustating process for those that have not tried this...I still find this step difficult and real "touchy... First line up the mainspar holes in the fuselage then glue the mainwing root cover over the fuselage down the centerline on the fuselage bottom, second after this glue step has set then glue along the top of the wingroot cover to where it meets the fuselage at the line that will become the line where the mainwing meets the port and starboard sides of the respective fuselage. after these 3 glue areas have set (centerline and port and starboard mainwing lines) ...then I work on gluing the front and rear sections of the mainwing well cover....this should give you the "buldge" that defines this section of the 707 or KC-135....this is a difficult step but well worth it in giving a more accurate card reproduction of these great planes!!! Hope this helps those that are seriously considering this assembly....:rofl:
  15. frankm

frankm New Member

Excellent depiction of the KC-135R tanker. I am especially thrilled to see one of the aircraft that I worked on while in the 171st ARW PaANG. One or two corrections if you don't mind. The 171st never used the KC-135R model. They are currently using the KC-135T, prior to that they were using the KC-135E. The difference between the 135R and the 135T is mostly internal( navigation gear, etc) so the differences are not noticeable externally. The other correction is that aircraft 1457 was never a 135R or T model. It was a 135E. The main difference was the engines. The E model used JT-8 engines(basically civilian engines liberated from mothballed 707 airliners and used only on Air National Guard aircraft. The 135R and 135T uses the CFM56 engines(not sure of the designation here, these came after I retired) Otherwise the aircraft are basically the same. Hope you don't mind my corrections. I thought that you would like to know the differences since you put so much effort into making such a beautiful model.

Thank you for such a beautiful model.

16. airbob

airbob Member

KC-135E vs KC-135R

I did make this with the 707 fanjets also! , so those of you that want to make the KC-135E version can put the fanjets on...and I will put them out with the turbojets also for those who want the original KC135A version...The CFM's were last made so I wanted to beta build with them...though I did not realize that this particular bird was only the KC-135E version:oops: ...I would have like to make a couple of different versions...but time has not allowed at this time...:( I would particularly like to make the "Lets Roll!" version from the Tennessee ANG...since I hail from the Volunteer State and will remember 9/11 always and those who did this:mad: :cry: Hope this helps to clarify...If any of you would like to add changes I would be more than happy to add these and give you credit for them at the downloading website:)
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey airbob,

Right now my plate is kinda full, but IF I can find some good pics of the TN ANG bird, I would like to "volunteer":grin: to do that re-color.

I would like to do one from MS ANG that are based (for the moment) in Meridian, maybe it will get me on the base for some good pics!:grin:

18. frankm

frankm New Member

I remember the 707 model now. The fix is easy. Just replace the struts and engines with those from the 707 and you have a 135E. There are a few other minor things if you don't mind. I worked on these things for 27 years and this stuff jumps out at me. The astro windows on top of the fuselage just aft of the flight deck were removed and replaced with solid metal inserts about 10 or 15 years ago. The regulars had a couple of them blow out and one crewman was killed. They traced the failure to the window itself. Since the windows were not needed the fix was to remove them and replace them with metal inserts. This was done on the local level. Another small item is the ruddervators. They were painted a flat black and each ruddervator had the refueling squadrons designator painted on them in white paint. This was done on both sides so that the designator could be read from either side. From the top the left ruddervator would have PA on it and the right one would have ANG on it. This was also done on the bottom. This of course would have the designator for each squadron on their respective aircraft. On the PaAng aircraft there was a yellow border painted on the nose of the aircraft. It was painted around the radome and continued on around the forward flight deck windows.
    If you want if I see any other things I will bring them to your attention. I don't want you to think that I am trying to nit pick your excellent model to death. I just wanted to try and help you make this outstanding effort even better.
    I have a few more stories if anyone is interested.

19. clarklfarris

clarklfarris Member

Beautiful model. I am curious. What weight paper do you use? I have heard a lot of talk about using 67lb. paper. Currently I use 110lb paper which works.......more or less. Again, very nicely done.
  20. airbob

airbob Member

Fix on the IFR lights KC-135

This is a picture of the fix that I did on the IFR lights for the KC-135:-D I think this is OK....Frank if you have pics of the KC-135E you speak of I certainly would try to add these details...yes, yes let's hear the stories:) :yep: After all the history of these birds from you AF vets is also precious....:)

Attached Files: