Kawasaki MachIII

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by spirtos, Nov 4, 2005.

1. spirtos

spirtos Member

...I've heard so many stories about this bike since I was a kid...I had tons of laugh reading the Joe Bar Team comic (one of the crazy guys of the comic was riding it B) )...never had the chance to ride one and now I have the chance to built one!...I'm excited!!!!

2. charliec

charliec Active Member

Be excited that you're building a model - riding the Kawasakis was not a great experience. They had an appaling accident rate and very average handling
    even for the 1970s. They were fast in a straight line but otherwise not fun.
    I can remember seeing one of these things flip over backwards on top of the rider at a set of traffic lights when the guy went for it on the green.

3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah I seem to recall that you DID NOT give it all it had to start off with, even when up to speed it would lift the front tire off the dang road!
    Un-nerving to say the least. Even in my youth I was not that reckless, went back to my trusty Honda..... till that guy in the dang Maverick decided to stop suddenly. :shock:

2 wheels(going 45mph) vs 4 wheels(standing still) not good on a bike rider. :oops:
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

www.bammo.org.uk . I'm studying for my Senior Observers exam early next year. Hopefully to avoid that sort of thing!

I've looked all over for a Yamaha FJR model, but no joy yet. I knew a guy with a Mach III, said it rode like the frame had a hinge in the middle! Long time ago now. Intimations of Mortality moment there guys. Not that you don't get those all the time if you ride a motorcycle!

Anyone else enjoy Ewan MacGregors and Charlie Boormans 'Long Way Round' film/TV/Book? Fantastic stuff. All the real accidents they had were in Canada and the USA! Having ridden across Europe, Kazakstan, Mongolia, Russia, Ewan gets shunted by some spotty burger-flipper on a freeway. But then, most car drivers seem to have an attention span that barely reaches the front of their hoods (bonnets), let alone to other traffic.

Oh, sorry, do I appear to be hacked off with car drivers just at this moment? Yep. My nice new FJR acquired a 6 inch scratch on the pannier cover a couple of days ago, courtesy some a*se in a BMW 5 series, who had just dropped his mobile. If I hadn't had the pannier, I'd have caught it in the shin.

OK, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10. Better now.

Tim P