Kato vs the world

Herc Driver

Just bought my first Kato diesel at a price I couldn't pass up...an AC4400...and understand Kato uses their own knuckle-type coupler which does not fit the standard universal-types (I'm sure there is a real word for them...but I don't know what it is). I'd like to use some of my Bachmann freight cars with this new diesel but know that I need to change the couplers and possibly the trucks as well.

Do most N-scalers use MicroTrains couplers (and wagons) and are they useable with the Kato couplers on the AC4400 diesel? I found the MicroTrain data base to convert the Bachmann wagons from their original couplers to MicroTrains - but just want to make sure they are compatible with the Kato and most importantly, which type of truck assembly are being used today on American's railroads?

Any other suggestions on which coupler or which type to use would be helpful and any tips and tricks to easily switch couplers would be appreciated?

Kato's coupers are compatable with Microtrains, but not the rapidos a lot of cars come with.

the Kato coupler won't work with uncoupler magnets, but otherwise, its identical to the MTs

Hoghead

Rapido couplers are a thing of the past.

The knuckle type/MT couplers are now standard with the upper end models such as Atlas/Micro-Trains and Kato.

Maybe someday Bachmann will join the rest of the model manufacturers in the 21st century