Kato unitrack

davidone

What does everybody think of the Kato unitrack system in N scale? Is this a viable track to use on a permenant layout?

Thanks, Dave

Agatheron

Short answer... yes... I use it, I think it's great, especially for a first-timer like me. The track is nearly bulletproof, and while a bit more expensive on the outlay, it comes with switch motors built right into the turnouts.

While I haven't done it yet but will be doing within a few months, it can be painted, weathered, and even ballasted beyond the roadbed appearance...

Also, with a little care, the track can be built in such a way that looks a bit more organic rather than simply straights and turns. The nice thing is that you can build up and take apart to suit your needs... you can run trains on it even before you finalize it by gluing it down.

Here's a link to my in-progress thread for my layout which uses Unitrack:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=23681

I've done a bit more since these pictures were last taken, so it's time for me to try and post something new soon.

Papa Bear

Ditto. For me, the ease of construction and reliability were what sold me on Unitrack. I've used it on my last 3 layouts.

Agatheron said:
Also, with a little care, the track can be built in such a way that looks a bit more organic rather than simply straights and turns.

This is easy to do. If you have, say 9 3/4" radius curves, you can use a short section of a larger radius as a transition between the straight track and the smaller radius. I've also made S-curves with the 28" radius track.

Easiest way to get started is with the K-1 set which comes with an oval of 12 3/8" track and connectors and then build from there.

Agatheron

I do periodically have some issues on the turnouts... but apparently that's standard for any track... just file the connection points down, and my SD70Mac won't go funny :)