Kato Streamline: UP or Zephyr....

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Howdy,

Thinking of grabbing one of the Kato Streamline passenger sets to be #2 passenger train on my layout (#1 is Amtrak). But not sure if I wanna go with the Union Pacific or the Zephyr.

Isn't the Zephyr supposed to be like the grand daddy of streamline series?

Anyone have the sets with photos?

I'm leaning towards the zephyr set right now.

Now to figure out if I have enough space for a longer passenger terminal track to fit most of these cars, hehe.

"we're gonna need a bigger boat"

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
Space is going to be your biggest challenge if you go with the California Zephyr. Its around 7' long, that's a wholelotta platform! :eek:

The "granddaddy" of the Diesel streamliners is, I believe, the Pioneer Zephyr, which is only 3 cars. That will fit easy. I'm sure somebody here can point you to some good references on the streamliners. :thumb:

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
7'?! That's a long train. I've got terminal tracks branching off the main I'm gonna use for the terminal. I've got 5' of track currently, and could probably hit 7' if I through in a curve at the end.

But I'll probably just not use all the cars for a slighlty shorter train.

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
You could very prototypically run just the 5 domes, and a set of F's as power, for a believeable Rio Grande Zephyr.. More shots Here! The CZ ran with F3's in an ABBA consist, readily available on ebay... Sold out elsewhere, hence my AAA set... The steam generators came on B units only on DRGW...

Here's a shot of mine:

aab.jpg

aac.jpg

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Shawn,

I have the new set of Zephyr passenger cars and its a beautiful set of cars. They also track very well. I recently ordered the lighting kits and a set of sitting people as I feel it will really add to the looks. So far I'm only running eight cars but once I get all the track laid on my final leg I'll run all of the set. In the next couple of days I'll try to get a decent picture of them.

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :wave: