Kato stack cars

davidone

What does everybody think of the Kato double stack cars, i'm thinking of getting some. They do look great in the pics. Any reviews out there?

Dave:wave: :thumb:

:thumb:
I looked at them at a train show last week. They seem pretty nice and well made. Good price too. $60 for 3 cars with doublestack containers. I priced out other brands and once you buy the doublestack containers, then the cars that pull them you're talking somewhere around $70-75. SO you save $10-15 with the Kato's.

Collyn

I have a set of some articulated ones. They will not work on my layout. I am not sure of the brand but they are diecast and have good detailing. I could sell you mine for much cheaper than retail.

Collyn said:
I have a set of some articulated ones. They will not work on my layout. I am not sure of the brand but they are diecast and have good detailing. I could sell you mine for much cheaper than retail.

The Kato's are articulated I believe. Why won't they work on your layout? I was planning on getting a set for my layout, but I don't want to run into that problem.

Thanks

nolatron

I like 'em. I have two of the BNSF sets (though one needs fixing still on the pegs).

I plan on getting all three of the TTX ones later in the year.

Here's some pics:

http://gallery.sodh.net/railroad/misc/katomaxi/

Overall, great quality cars and run great on the track. Wider the curve the better. Don't even try a 9" curve. Looks like 11 would be the bare minimum.

I also have a 5 unit set from Deluxe Innovations, also excellent quality but a little more expensive. The Kato is a good deal for the quality and the included containers.

jsoflo

If your still looking...

The Kato Maxi-IV looks GREAT and the containers are great and the magnets in them are GREAT. The only issue IMHO, they are very difficult to connect on the articulation, once they are connected I usually will go to extremes to keep them that way. Also, be very gentle when trying to connect them at the articulation, I barely touched them and snapped a peg.

Having said that, they are good runners but for me they must be towards the end of the train to be at their best, I did have some problems when they were towards the front. Also, as with all Kato couplers, they are difficult to couple with other manufacturers couplers and sometimes with other Kato products.

Conclusion: love em' but excited about the Deluxe innovations maxi-IV's.

davidone

I bought 3 sets of them and i agree they can be a pain to put together but once you do it a couple of times it bcomes easy. But in the mean time i also broke a peg. I'll be buying the BNSF versions next. Just wish they would mix up the names on the containers for some variety.

Dave

jsoflo

Yes, I agree, I wish they'd do some different containers but from what I read Kato is a bit of a strange company and if they do, it'll be a surprise. Until then though, Kato is selling the container magnets as a part on their website, and I'm going to see how they fit in the new Deluxe NACS 53' containers, as it would be very common to see NACS containers with EMP's or BNSF's (which I think were bought by Swift, which is another forthcoming Deluxe 53'), if the magnets work in them than we should be in pretty good shape for domestic intermodal traffic!

As for the broken pegs, Kato is now selling each well car and truck as seperate parts! Check their website.

Best regards,
Jan