Kato Set Engine Quality

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
Does anyone know if the Kato engines in there sets are of the same quality as the ones you would buy by themselves?

Have a chance to pick up one for a fair price but worried that the engines are Cheaply made for the sets.

Also wonder are the ones in the sets DCC ready?

Thanks Much

C

Catt

KATO only has one line of engines,thet are all of excellent quality.Not absolutely positive about this but I think only the newest sets are DCC friendly.

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
The F3s in the set are the same mechanism and such as the F3s they sell separately, i.e. top quality. Ditto for the RDC sets. Its possible, but unlikely, that they're an older chassis casting (depending on when it was made) that isn't DCC ready, but if so, it should only require some milling to prepare it.

3railguy

Sep 7, 2004
Kaukauna, WI
They are the same F-3 as their seperate sale model. The starter set is a good deal. The price is about what you'd expect to pay for the track and engine alone. The cars are a freebie. You won't be dissapointed.

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
Thanks for all of the replies, I was able to get a f7 set for $70.00 (used, but in great shape). Ran it around today for alittle while and very happy with it.

Thanks