Kato GP35 shell on newer Athearn drive??

NCAndy

Aug 4, 2004
Home of the NC AppleFest
Will this combo work? If not that, how about a rail power shell? What I'm looking for is a couple of non-dynamic units to paint up in DT&I colors. I have a few of the newer style athearn drives with the narrower motor. I'm sure I could do the work on the athearn shells, but, I like the look of the others better. (read: narrower hood)

Any insight would be appreciated.

Gracias.

Andy

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Thump!(Sound of Brakie passing out and hitting the floor).
I suppose it can be done..I fitted 2 of my Athearn GP40-2 shells on Atlas GP40 drives.
Better still would be to wait to see if the DB can be removed like on the GP38-2s and GP40-2s? Then if so,maybe the Kato non DB hatch would work?

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Unless you have the Kato shell already, why not wait for the Athearn RTR version that is coming out, it's supposed to be in both versions (Dyn & non-Dyn). Just a thought.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well,Then just hold your mules till the non DB units come out. :D Unless of course you already have the Kato shell.. As far as the wide body GP35 I do not own any and haven't for quite some time..I foolishly traded off 4 of my Atlas GP40s for 4 Kato GP35s...I should have held MY mules and waited on Athearn to release the RPP GP35. :cry:
I am sure the Kato shell will fit the new Athearn GP35 frame..If you like I will look future into this and give you my opinion.I will check one of my Kato shells to see if it will fit the CF7 frame or perhaps the older GP38-2 frame- doesn't appear to be that much differance in the frames.Both should be very close..I have use the Athearn drives to repower a lot of locomotives over the years including some Spectrum GP30s.So,this is nothing new for me..BTW I still like the Athearn drives. :thumb:

NCAndy

Aug 4, 2004
Home of the NC AppleFest
Thank you for your help. The only sticky point is that DT&I used AAR trucks from trade in Alcos (Ann Arbor units I believe) so I'd have to change the trucks or sideframes. I've checked into reserving a couple of the new Athearns.

Muchas gracias.

Andy

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
NCAndy said:
Thank you for your help. The only sticky point is that DT&I used AAR trucks from trade in Alcos (Ann Arbor units I believe) so I'd have to change the trucks or sideframes. I've checked into reserving a couple of the new Athearns.

Muchas gracias.

Andy

How close are the AAR trucks to the "U boat" "B" trucks? You could probably pick up a set of Athearn Uboat side frames from Athearn or at a swap meet.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
The BB Athearn GP35 frame must be modified to fit the RPP shell due to the difference in the hood widths.
This involves removing the ribs from the top of the frame and narrowing the rear bolster by about .042" on each side.
The newer narrow motor is needed.
I don't imagine it would be any more difficult to make the Kato shell fit.
As far as the AAR trucks I'd go with what Russ suggested.