Kato EMD NW2 locomotive, any feedback ?

Biased turkey

I'm looking for a smooth reliable switching locomotive and from the latest issue of MR it looks like Kato released a new model.
Kato products are impossible to find here in Montréal, so I'll have to buy online.

1) Is that locomotive worth buying ?
2) Where can I get it here in Canada ?
Tia for any info.
B.T.

KCS

Ummm, I'm not sure where you can get one but they are well worth buying. I just had a bad experiance with 2 SD40-2's only because it was a trial and error run. Over all Kato will pull their share of the weight plus some for sure. I don't have any switchers by them but Atlas makes a very reliable MP15 and they look great too. Good luck.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Biased turkey said:
1) Is that locomotive worth buying ?
Worth is a tricky word... will it be a well-detailled, good-running model? Yes! Will it be more expensive than, say, a Proto SW1200? Likely. Is it worth it? Only you (and your hobby budget) can decide that.

Biased turkey said:
2) Where can I get it here in Canada ?
In Montreal, you could try Hobby Junction Express in Dorval, La Gare du Hobby or Loco-Passion on Belanger, or Hobbie Universel on Decarie.

Online, try Larkspur Line, Canadian Model Trains or Paris Junction Hobbies.

Biased turkey

KCS said:
Ummm, I'm not sure where you can get one but they are well worth buying. I just had a bad experiance with 2 SD40-2's only because it was a trial and error run. Over all Kato will pull their share of the weight plus some for sure. I don't have any switchers by them but Atlas makes a very reliable MP15 and they look great too. Good luck.

What a coincidence, just 3 days before I started this thread I purchased a MP15 from my LHS . The only road available is the Louisville&Nashville. It doesn't fit my Lowenbrau brewery theme very well. But I can change the sign on my Lowenbrau brewery to a Jack Daniel's distillery one :)

Biased turkey

Squidbait said:
Worth is a tricky word... will it be a well-detailled, good-running model? Yes! Will it be more expensive than, say, a Proto SW1200? Likely. Is it worth it? Only you (and your hobby budget) can decide that.

In Montreal, you could try Hobby Junction Express in Dorval, La Gare du Hobby or Loco-Passion on Belanger, or Hobbie Universel on Decarie.

Online, try Larkspur Line, Canadian Model Trains or Paris Junction Hobbies.

Thanks for the hobby stores adresses in the Montreal area Squidbait.
I tried Hobby Universel, but with no luck.
There is a HUGE hobby store , still on Decarie , it is named Udisco.
They sell online , but since 2005 the customer can buy directly from their "store".
I went there and felt like a kid in a candy store, they have a HUGE 2 stories warehouse. It's so big than there are some arrows painted on the 1st floor that show the direction for going to the 2nd floor :)
Nice friendly people too, but they don't sell the Kato brand.
From another post in the general section the Pacific Western Rail Systems is mentioned
They are located in the Vancouver BC area. They seem to have a good inventory, including Kato.
I'll order my EMD NW2 from them.

For me, "worth it " means good quality first, a decent price and having fun with that new purchased item.
It looks like the NW2 will fit the bill.

Biased turkey

jambo101 said:
Checking out some Montreal locations on Google and a place called Udisco pops up.
I've never dealt with them but their website looks promising http://www.udisco.com/hobbies/index.htm

Ahem, didn't you read my post carefully ?
"There is a HUGE hobby store , still on Decarie , it is named Udisco." :)
As you are a Montréalais, you must go there, it's close to the Snowdon metro station.
Enjoy it and let your credit card home.

Biased turkey

As I mentioned in a previous post:
" What a coincidence, just 3 days before I started this thread I purchased a MP15 from my LHS"
Now, the LHS employee, told me yesterday that he was able to get the L&N MP15 but that his dealer told him that the Atlas N scale MP15 is discontinued.
I can't believe my eyes because on the Atlas website
http://www.atlasrr.com/NLoco/nmp15a.htm
it is mentioned that the delivery date was june 2006.
How can a model be discontinued after just 8 months ?
1) It's so crappy that nobody buys it
2) It's so good that it's selling like hotcake