KATO EF15 couplers

C

Catt

Anybody have one of these that they have converted to MT couplers?Got a part #?

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Catt, this is absolutely no help to you, only a statement of comiseration! I bought an EF-15 and an EF-57 years ago and, for the life of me, couldn't figure out an MT conversion. I ended up installing Unimates which, while not automatic, at least let me run them with MT equipped equipment.

Dick

C

Catt

Catt, this is absolutely no help to you, only a statement of comiseration!

Dick I got 177 hits on the ATLAS forum with out so much as a "What the hell is that?" At least I got some replies on the Gauge.

Could you pass on some tips about the unimates that might help me?

I think the Grande Valley is about to get an under the wire section. :D

(ps) the guy had another one and if I see him again I'll buy that one too. :D :D

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Catt, I don't know what kind of tips you require about the Unimates but, here's the sum of my knowlege/experience. I think they are made now by red Caboose, will have to research that later. They will mate well with any knuckle type coupler but must be hand coupled/uncoupled. The best (easiest) thing about them is that they will install anywhere a Rapido has been installed, in the same pocket and with the same spring. Though not related, I did have to modify the shank slightly to fit the early LifeLike FA trucks. If you need to experiement, I think I can scare up a pair for you to try out. They were easily installed on the Kato EF-15 but, due to the different coupler, not so on the Tomix EF-15.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Rich, the MDC couplers are different from the older designed Unimates. The MDC ones will sometimes couple "automatically" with MT's but, won't uncouple except by hand. If you compare the two side by side, the Unimates look a little "heavier". Plus, the Unimate shank won't fit into the MDC pockets as it's too thick. :)

Dick

C

Catt

Dick,do you remember which coupler you used? There are three different lengtha and I really don't want to buy all 3 if I can avoid it.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Catt, I used the short shank couplers on the EF-15 but, sometimes, with certain MT equipped cars, the MT "pin" would touch the pilot. Of course, it wasn't a problem with cars similarly equipped with Unimates. I would suggest you try the medium length ones. The short ones do look better! Your call! :)

Dick

C

Catt

In case anybody is wondering just what a EF15 looks like here's a pic.

ef15-54.jpg

Dick,KATO reccomends the # 1128 coupler for the conversion. So we are gona try it Saturday evening. :D

melisrael

Jan 19, 2009
Little Silver, NJ
Kato EF15 coupler conversion

I'm just completing a conversion using MT #1128 couplers, with much difficulty. I had to fabricate a metal L shaped bracket to hold the coupler in the pocket before it could be secured at the correct height. I have the couplers in place now, very carefully secured with CA. Tonight I will recheck height and operation then hope I can put the truck sides, idler wheels, and platform pieces back together correctly.