Kato Bridge Bash

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by upguy, Dec 23, 2002.

1. upguy

upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

You are probably well aware of the Kato single, track, truss bridge; but I wanted a bridge that was more prototypical of the bridges that I have seen on the Union Pacific here in Oregon. Most (if not all) of the bridges that I have seen in this area utilize a shorter span, so what to do?

I saw in one of the N-scale magazines where another modeler was cutting down Kato bridges to make the UP bridges, so I decided to give it a try.

This is a Kato bridge before the operation began....

Attached Files:

2. upguy

I took two Kato bridges and cut off the two end sections of each one and cemented them together. I was thus able to make two shorter bridge spans that looked more like the bridges that I wanted.

The bridge in the foreground of this picture is the result of my "cut and paste" operation.

Attached Files:

3. upguy

From the two center sections that were left after I removed the ends from the original bridge pieces, I did some additional cutting and pasting to get another bridge section that I hope to use as the start of another bridge.

On this section you can see the splice like I made to combine the original end sections. The center pieces also had to have some of the other supports removed to get the proper shape on the portion left.

Attached Files:

4. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

That looks really cool!

Bet that gave you a sense of satisfaction when you sat back and looked at the finished result.

The double bridge looks really good sitting across the future river bed. I'd like to see a photo of the completed scene.

Gavin Miller in Perth, W. Australia
  5. cpr_paul

cpr_paul Member

Looks good!

I did a similar bridge-bash a few weeks ago - I'll have to get the camera out again and post some pics.
  6. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

That goes for me, too! Nice work!:)
  7. upguy

I hope you guys don't mind waiting a while because the scenery work is still a ways off. I'm pretty overwhelmed right now with the benchwork and track laying. :D
  8. RI541

RI541 Member

Good things come to those who wait, I'll wait,

love the bridge, that give me an Idea maybe.