Kato #6 Turnouts and Digitrax DS51K1

Roger Locniskar

Oh bearers of DCC knowledge I have a question.
I have a Kato Unitrack set-up and have Digitrax DS51K1 switch decoders I am trying to get functioning.
I am trying to operate a Kato #6 Turnout (several of them). All three feeds to the turnouts are fed. I installed the decoder for the turnout as per instructions. Orange and grey wires to the turnout. I keep a light/dark wiring scheme, meaning the grey wire is connected to the red wire of the turnout and the orange wire to the black wire of the turnout. All turnouts are wired this way. The Rail leads of the decoder are connected as instructed. In this case Rail A is Kayo White and Rail B is Kato Blue, therefore the decoder Red wire is connected Rail A and the Black lead is connected to Rail B.

To program the decoder the instructions say to temporarily connect the Yellow decoder wire to the Rail the Decoder Black wire is connected to. This is done and verified with a meter that there is continuity. Now the instructions say to power up the controller and apply power to the track. Next it says to use the throttle to select which decoder to be programmed. Is say nothing about using any other buttons or switches. Power is on and power is on the track. I can spin the throttle all day long and all the readout says is 00.
I’m I missing something stupid, is there something wrong with the instructions, do I have the wrong decoders, are the decoders broken? If the later is true my supplier will hear about is big time.

Any words of wisdom????