Kapton Tape?????

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by Mike B, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Mike B

Mike B New Member

Just got my new digitrax decoder for my RS2. It came via UPS- I don't have a LHS. Ready to install it, but it says I need Kapton Tape. :eek: What the heck is it:confused: Can I use anythiong else? Sure hope I don't have to wait and place another order:curse:
  2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

I have installed digitrax decoders and they didn't say anything about Kapton Tape. I just used some of that electrcal tape for insulation where needed. I think that Kapton tape is a little bit thinner and easier to use but not essential
  3. Bikerdad

Bikerdad Member

If its one of the PnP decoders, then the orangish tape that keeps the decoder on the little piece of beaded foam for shipping is the Kapton tape. Kapton tape is much thinner, tougher, and heat resistant than regular electrical tape, but not as flexible. My guess would be that Digitrax uses the anti-static variant. You may be able to find it at a real electronics supply store, but I ended up getting some over the 'Net.
  4. Mike B

Mike B New Member

I was wondering if there was anything significant about that orange tape. You'd think they could say something-huh?