Kaolin

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Hi,

Part of my rolling stock consists of Kaolin tankers and hoppers. As I understand the tankers are used to transport Kaolin powder mixed with water (I think it is called slurry).
My question is, is Kaolin a mining business and if so has anyone pics of this sort of mines ?

Thanks,
Paul

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Hi, kaolin is a type of clay that is mined all over the world near as I can figure. Usually in a open pit type operation like a rock quarry. Just go to any search engine and type and kaolin and you should get plenty of sites. Wilkerson is one that I know has pics of the mining and rail operations.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Kaolin is also know as "white clay" Like Tyson said its mined all over the world. Its used in everything from cat litter to printing inks. Kaolin mining is a big industry in Central Georgia. Kaolin can be shipped dry in hoppers, bagged in boxcars or in slurry in tank cars. There are several shortline railroads in Ga. devoted to shipping kaolin.

Something interesting....the "old folks" for a springtime tonic would eat some "white clay" (kaolin)....The local farmer's market has it for sale every spring...Lord knows what it did/does.....but it is the main ingredient in Kaopeptec (for diareaha) and Pepto Bismol for up set stomach!!!

Tyson...this might be just what one needs after eating too many collard greens LOL!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Thanks for reply.
Here is a pic of a kaolin hopper.

Paul

FOTO18.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
If memory serves Model Railroader's articles (and now a book of the collected series of articles) about their Clinchfield layout had Kaolin plants on it and perhaps a description of the prototypic industry (?)
Ralph

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Thanks ajroland and Ralph, but I have met a guy who works in the Kaolin branch, and he has given me pic's taken from a plant in Brasil, both aerial shoots and shoots from ground, that was all I needed,

Thanks again,
Paul