Kancho's ME 410A-1 Hornisse build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Clashster, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Clashster

Clashster Member

Well, here is my current build.... It has been a long time since I built a paper model, so bear with the many errors (to start and to come!). Let's start off with forgetting to take the "shrink to fit" button on printing. And, as I mentioned in my intro, I am a notoriosly builder (read "easily distracted"). So here is the start

Here is the completed cockpit. It's not quite right, but since it is a download model, I can always rebuild!:wink:

And here is the engine - one completed and one just started...

I hope I'm not embarassing myself, but I am having fun! And that is all that is really important, right?:-D
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Your attachments are broken.

Try imageshack http://img91.exs.cx/ then link the bottom line using [​IMG] tags.
  3. Clashster

Clashster Member

Attached Files:

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks good so far!
  5. Clashster

Clashster Member

Here is some more pics of my build. Sorry to say that this is about as far as I got in a week! Here is the nose cone. Got a little sloppy with the testors clear glue...

I also completed the hidden construction, but that may have been in error.... I have not built a lot of planes and the instructions are not very clear on when to build and insert the hidden construction. I am starting to think it may have to be constructed through the fuselage piece by piece, not as a complete unit. But we shall see....:)

Attached Files:

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Nose piece looks good. for glueing canopies and clears I've been using GEM-TAC. It is found at craft stores and is used for glueing rhinestones to clothes. It is alot like white glue in character and smell but the stuff is tenacious! But doesn't mar the plastic/clear parts and is easily scraped off with a fingernail. Good build so far!
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

You may experience some problems with the airframe. The end caps of the airframe look as though you grabbed either end in your fists and wrung it along the axis.
  8. eric_son

eric_son Member

That's the first Kancho build I ever made. Very nice.

Be careful with the fuselage part between the cockpit and the rudder/elevator.
    There are no supporting/inner structures to strengthen that part. I stuffed that area with tissue to provide some strength. The rear landing gear will also need some support. (Wires)

Lastly, I'm interested in how you'll be doing the engine covers. I did a really sloppy job on mine. :-(

Looking forward to some pix.
  9. Clashster

Clashster Member

Thanks Eric son! I appreciate the info. I have been pretty bad with the pics. It just so happens that I am at that part between the cockpit and rudder and have been contemplating it for a day or so. I will post my progress a bit later!
  10. eric_son

eric_son Member

I checked out P1010417.JPG (cockpit area). I then remembered what caused me the most amount of grief during the construction ---> GLUE FIRST, CUT LATER.
  11. Clashster

Clashster Member

I am a little intimidated by the some of the threads running here! There is some awesome workmanship and beautifully built models, and my build doesn't seem to fit in! Not to mention I am really bad at taking pictures!

Eric son - thanks for the tip! I actually built the fuselage and then cut out the cockpit area, so that didn't cause me any problems. My big problem was I built the internal structure (by looking at the instruction pictures, I thought that was how you did it). So with the fuselage built, I started to say to myself "how the hell do I get this in there?" Quick reprint and cutting out a small section of the white hidden area, I was able to get it in there. You can see the cuts I had to make. Hey, as I stated before, I don't normally build planes!

View attachment 5148

View attachment 5149

View attachment 5150

As StevO pointed out, I screwed the nose up (pretty noticable). I think the rest of the fuselage is in good shape, but this one won't be winning any awards soon! :grin:

Attached Files:

12. barry

barry Active Member

It does not look that bad for starters keep posting we all have to learn the hardway some of us still are.
  13. eric_son

eric_son Member

I used toothpicks to strengthen the wing spars, especially the thin areas (rear part).
  14. Clashster

Clashster Member

Thanks Eric! I think I will do that. Also, I have been contemptating the canopy. How did you go about it?
  15. eric_son

eric_son Member

For the canopy, I used a very helpful tip I got from this forum --- double adhesive tape.
    Before I cut the canopy, I stuck double adhesive tape at the back of the card. After cutting, I then stuck the the frame onto the acetate. Very clean...and quick.

Unfortunately, I still managed to botch the canopy. Though neat, it was a bit too large for the cockpit.
  16. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

You're too hard on yourself Chris, when I was a cardnoob I couldn't have done half as good as you.
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Looks great! This is one of the hardest build for a plane, IMHO. Rounded edges and compound curves........... wow.

Keep it up, the pictures are good enough, and the building si excellent.
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I agree with everyone - this is a great build so far. FAR FAR superior to any of my early builds (and probably as good as my current builds)
  19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

It does look good so far, you said you got into a jam but it looks like you fixed it pretty good. If it all went together right the first time it would be too easy! Keep it up!
  20. Clashster

Clashster Member

Thanks for all the encouragement! I may actually finish this one! Glad I found this place! :grin: