Kancho's F2H Banshee

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by sdk2knbk, Mar 14, 2007.

1. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

My latest. One of the more interesting design methods I've seen. The wings will definitely be straight on this one!

Scott K.

Attached Files:

2. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Another view.

Attached Files:

3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Pretty cool build you got there!
    I have a couple of Kancho's models, not to mention his ton of freebies, although they are still in one of my forever growing stacks of "to do" piles.
    I did notice that he has an original concept when it comes to model construction, which is kinda different from the mainstream approach.
    I guess that's why he expanded his horizons and is doing the Red Army series now.
    I find him to be an excellent designer. It is good to see someone building one of his creations.
    Can't wait to see some more!

4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Good luck on that one, I tried it about 5 times and it shot me down each time. Which sadly scared me away from trying his F-104.
  5. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Russell, does Kancho still use similar design techniques on the other models you have? I know I'm not terribly fond of the way he forms cones for the noses of a/c, tanks and such, but don't know what the internal structure looks like.

Rick, five tries? Yikes! The last thing I've done so far is dry fit the fuselage sections. They are a bit tricky, aren't they? I have to move the canopy section forward, just a bit, as it doesn't line up with the skins where it is now. Precise cutting seems to be a must with this one!

Scott K.
  6. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

This is one of the first paper models I built. I recoloured it in RCN (HMCS Bonaventure) colours. I restarted about 5 or six times. I never did get everything lined up properly. The skin gave me endless trouble. But it finally resulted in a presentable model. Just stick with it.
  7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Not to speak for Kancho................

but these were some of his first attempts at designing models. He had taken them off and was persuaded to re-list them and he has done this for free. Althought there are many that haven't been modeled he really was not satisfied with their design.

His style has changed and the models he now designs are very different than the first ones he made while still learning.

Try one of his Easy series and you will see the difference............ also his SB2C Helldiver is a real gem! But to be honest I like all of his designs!

But they do take you to another building level as he has his own unique solutions to some of the problems associated with modeling in paper.

I've got to build his Star War's Stormtroopers helmet...........

8. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Good to have a Kancho's design be built over here in the forum.

Please continue.
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Well looks like John answered that question pretty well while I was gone.
    Yeah baby, Kancho's Helldiver is an awesome model. It's one of the first ones that I bought from him.

As far as his technique is concerned I really like the fact that he doesn't stick to the way everyone else does models. He is a thinker and he comes up with his own original ways of tackeling problems. The best part of that is that his methods work and that is what makes his models so great.

If you have a better way of making a nose cone, do it your way.
    That's the best thing about this hobby, you can do parts any way you want to. Unlike plastic where you are stuck using the parts you get, with paper you can make any changes you want to.
    Your not stuck doing it a specific way.

10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Russell......... I think you said it better then me!
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Ah shoot, I'm just rambling.
    I can never say enough good things about Kancho's models and I think he deserves more attention.
    I am really happy to see someone building one of his models here! Very cool!8)

12. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Yeah, I like his original way of thinking too. As for the nose cones, I didn't mean to sound critical. I know how hard compound curves are to do convincingly. It was just that, in particular, I don't like all the visible seams left by the one piece method. The AN-71 and Intruder are the ones I'm thinking of in particular. The multiple cone method looks a bit better (to me, anyway), but doesn't represent the shape as well.

Thanks for all the support, I'll try not to disappoint.:roll:

Scott K.
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I know exactly what you mean about the cones.
    I like the other way better as well.
    It's more pleasing to look at and the less you can see any seam, the better.:twisted:

14. wingsbg

wingsbg Member

Hello friends

Thank to you all for the nice words!

I wish to put some thinks about the cones, but I'm not sure will I be clear, because my English is very bad - excuse me for that.

So I haven't hard definite technique for designing of noses respectively cones ( it's the same for the all parts of the model ) - the concrete model and scale defines the design. The goal for me is be realistic and as ease as it's possible. Also I'm not paper fanatic and I like to use addition materials and tools except paper . I have this in mind when I'm designing, because I hope many of you are the same. I think that noses aren't simply cones and in common cases nice look by using only the paper is impossible. I think that for the good look is necessary to cover the nose by special glue or better by special resin. After drying follows graining by fine abrasive paper and of course recoloring on the end. But if the shape of the pure paper model isn't fine this way won't work. To give enough good shape to nose like in case with Intruder by rings method in scale 1:48 i think is impossible - the nose isn't symmetric on vertical.
    Also I'll give to you a hint, I'm using in events like this ( I think many of you uses it too, but I'll tell it any way). So the nose in 'blades' variant usually has no tabs, because the blade is very fine and small. But if the tabs present your life will be easer - then do additional tabs. It is easy if you cut out the detail and glue it - as is flat - on very thin paper. After that cut out again as follows the contour, but leave on the one side of the blades small tabs. This I think will be helpful.
    On the end - some words of my 'Old' models - Many of them are strange and unusual, they are my first steps in designing. Of course now my design view point is different, but I'm continue to learn and of course continue to seek for the 'right' way of design. And of course I know - I have never find the 'RIGHT' way, because it non-existing, but the quest is fun :))). It will be interesting to redesign some of old models and seems Banshee is good candidate for. But now I continuing to play and develop my robotic world. I have temporally stopped with planes but soon I'll be back :)

Best regards!

15. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Well explained...and please, keep learning and designing!

My only problem I had with your style of cones was cutting them out well enough to have it look good when I built the piece. As for the lines, I always color those in with the part's own color and remove the black.

I figure if I ever am able to make one that looks good, it will look pretty darn good...hehe

Thanks for all your designs, Kancho.
  16. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Attached the fuselage skins last night. It was a bit tough to get the seams to close neatly, and my latest charge of ink seems to be more sensitive to "bleeding" when the glue hits it. I couldn't get the fuselage sides to attach to the canopy piece well enough to suit me, so I cheated by printing another copy of the canopy and attaching it over the first. It worked ok, except at the rear, but hopefully the gap isn't too noticeable. I had trouble with the tail section of the skin too, but that was just a problem with my fat fingers.:roll: I've never been able to join adjacent folded tabs together properly, so at the nose I just cut off one side. I should have cut off both and made a joining strip, but I was getting tired and didn't think of it. I also forgot to darken the edge of the side I cut the tab from, oops.:cry:

Scott K.

Attached Files:

17. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

And the bottom view. Sorry for the fuzzy picture. The bottom of the nose is another spot I had a problem with. I didn't get the sections of fuselage lined up quite right, and I saw too late that they pulled slightly apart. I'm also not sure if there were supposed to be forward gear bay doors, so I need to recheck the instructions and my references.

Meanwhile, it's still a very interesting build. I'm learning a lot from it, and giving me ideas I can use on my own designs. Thanks, Kancho!

Scott K.

Attached Files:

18. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

That's All Folks!

Well, here it is. I cheated and left off the landing gear (and don't ask to see the bottom, it's not pretty!) I can see how some might give up on it, but I generally try not to. When I try this one again, one thing I'll do is use thinner paper. 110 lb was too thick for some parts. Thanks again, Kancho!

Scott K.
  19. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Nice job Scott! I bought this and tried building it twice but kept having trouble with the fuselage/wing frames not staying straight probably because I used too much glue. I've got to get back to building this one again now that that I have more experience building paper models.