Kampflieger's Kikka

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Jul 7, 2005.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Hi all, I thought I'd try a return to aircraft for a short while. I started with Roman's Kikka, the Japanese "answer" to the Me-262. According to the short history that comes with the model this wasn't a straight copy of the 262. It seems to have been based on the design and probably reverse engineered to a degree, but there the similarity ends. The engines were basically fans with fuel dumped on them to provide thrust. armament was 2 cannons in the nose, vice the German 4, the wings have a sort of reverse dihedral at the engine joint. Anyways on to the model. The first thing was to convert the pdfs to a bitmap so I could enlage it to 1/33. I then ran a few test sheets and found the color to blackish and not enough green, so I added some green until it looked about right. I printed the parts out on 65lb card and the bulkhead parts on 1mm card. I started with the fwd fuselage and tried the technique of using strips, Which weren't included(a small gripe Roman) and placeing the bulkheads after. It works great to a point but I got stuck at the whell well parts and where it attaches to the cockpit section.
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The cockpit section was actually built first and some of the flat 2d parts were recopied and laminated up to provide alittle more 3d detail for the enlarged cockpit. I added a few control/throttle levers and made the rudder pedal rod from rolled up paper to make it more 3d. The only "Gripes" I have so far are there are no connecting strips. I made a few from the bitmaps of the parts and created rough strips and printed them on thin paper. The other gripe is the panel lines fwd from sections 1&2 do not line up, and then 2 to 3 only the bottom panel lines are lined up. The color transition does ok though and thats what I ultimately used to line things up. The below pics are the cockpit but are tough to see with the overcast light available here at the Jersey shore.
  3. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Nice to see you doing an aircraft again, Ted. Curious to learn what this one looks like when it shapes up - unfamiliar type to me. Best of luck, Leif.
  4. david n

david n New Member

Sub with Messerschmitt sank

This is another Japanese plan that was delayed when the submarine from Germany with plans and a crated example of the Messerschmitt 262 was lost. Working from very basic info the Japanese pressed on with the design. The Kikka was to be a special attack bomber. The plane built lacked any armament at all. The Kikka is much smaller than the 262, and will look out of scale in a model collection. My 1/48 plastic kit is dwarfed by such standard planes as the George and Frank.
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Well more of the fuselage, I checked on a few sites while waiting for some parts to dry, and what I found was the panel lines forward that I had an "issue" with may have been actually as Roman has depicted them. I found a site that had a 1/48 scale PLASTIC kit that was made by a Japanese company and it showed the panel "misalignment". It also showed the aircraft as heavily weathered, which amazed me as there was only one flyable prototype. Lief, the finished bird, or rather a picture of the kit is available on Spishops site as well as the kit. I finished out the fuselage structure and had to quit as the kids and wife returned from thier beach outing. More later....
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ted...............you beat me. I got this when I got the Wyvern. Started the Mustang instead of it.

Looks great.............my to do list is growing and GROWING...................

Thanks for sharing................

7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks for the interest John, I've followed everyones builds for the last month or so and had to start building something. For the most part assembly is straight forward, there is a little trickyness in building the flight surfaces. The rudder and rear stabs are in separate pieces. The moving part is built as a kinda solid piece, then the fixed part is kinda built with an open back. I tried to figure a way to close up the gaps but in the end I just approximated both surfaces. It does serve rather well despite some pre missgivings. The best explanation is to look at the pics... more later
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Your work looks great Ted!

How are the details with the upscale? Would this have been kinda small in the original scale?

I really enjoy working with 1/32 but some 1/48s are ok for my big fat fingers.
  9. Darwin

Darwin Member

Ted, your build is coming along nicely. It's making my fingers a bit itchy for something other than another ship....don't want to get water-logged, do we? :D