Kadee uncoupler.

billwv

Jan 13, 2005
West Virginia
Hi,

I am using the Kadee under the track magnet #308 with mostly Kadee box cars with scale #58 couplers (HO).

The problem is the trip pins pull the couplers too far off center so that when trying to push using the delayed feature the couplers totally miss each other.

What is the solution? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

Bill

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Bill, the question I have is whether or not it is absolutely necessary to use magnetic couplers in your application. They do have their place in model railroading, but if you can switch out cars without the use of a magnetic coupler why bother with the cost?

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
I'm an N-scaler, but have had a similar problem, fixed in one of two ways -- either (1) raise the trip pin (so the magnet has a lesser effect on it), or (2) remove and re-insert the trip pin angled slightly further towards the edge of the track (when it's at rest). This way when the magnet pulls the trip pin to its preferred position, the coupler has moved a smaller distance.

Much mucking about with the first ones should leave you knowing exactly what works best where, then subsequent coupler installations will be quick and will all work the same.

I'm afraid I've completely missed the point of the response about whether it's absolutely necessary... it seems to me to be about the second most important thing to get sorted to make a model railroad worth using, but maybe that's only me...

Good luck

Charles

billwv

Jan 13, 2005
West Virginia
Charles,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I emailed Kadee and they suggested as you. Raise the pins or lower the magnet.

I have tested and decided to go with the electro magnets -- I have a small shelf layout and only need 4 or 5, so cost is not a major issue. I, of course, dislike the appearance but they perform very well without the close tolerances of other fixes.

Thanks for your help.

Bill

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Charles, Bill,

I think Jeff's point about the magnets is whether it really is the best way to uncouple. Some hard to reach places, it is probably good to have, but most locations within reach you may be better off with uncoupling by hand (just like the prototype).

Our local NMRA club has decided to remove all the magnets from our switching display module, as they cause no end of unexpected uncouplings, plus the little reversing move to make them work is somewhat "unprototypical". We are electing to use a tool for uncoupling (Micromark makes one, or you can use bamboo skewers!).

Other advantages include uncoupling anywhere you want instead of over the magnets, and the opportunity to improve the appearance of the couplers by removing the "gladhand".

Having said all that, what works for you on your layout is best.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
MasonJar said:
Our local NMRA club has decided to remove all the magnets from our switching display module, as they cause no end of unexpected uncouplings, plus the little reversing move to make them work is somewhat "unprototypical". We are electing to use a tool for uncoupling (Micromark makes one, or you can use bamboo skewers!).
Andrew

Kaddee also makes a tool to uncouple by hand that works very well. It is made of plastic, and the handle end has a pocket clip built in. The "business end" has a blade with a kind of bow shaped cross section. You get a little slack in the couplers, slip the blade between the jaws and twist it and the couplers come open. It works great.

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Russ, do you have the product number for this? Sounds interesting and I may just have to get one if I twist my arm hard enough<g>

Russ Bellinis said:
Kaddee also makes a tool to uncouple by hand that works very well. It is made of plastic, and the handle end has a pocket clip built in. The "business end" has a blade with a kind of bow shaped cross section. You get a little slack in the couplers, slip the blade between the jaws and twist it and the couplers come open. It works great.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't have the number. I got an almost identical tool when I was experimenting with another coupler, but at Carson City where our club set up as guest of the Carson City club one of the guys in the other club had a bunch and they worked great. I'll check the walthers catalog next time I get to my local hobby shop to see if it is in there. If you have a Walthers catalog, I would expect to find it in the same section with Kaddee couplers.

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Hey, Eric - thanks for the link. Now I need to find one of these cool toys.

JD

BTW - I will bring some termites to the June ops session to eat your wooden skewers<g>

Eric Norris said:
Jeff,

Here is a link to the Kadee uncoupling tool.
http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page309.htm

Part # 241.

If you're that desperate for an uncoupling tool, I'll let you borrow one of my skewers at the next operating session. ;)

Eric Norris