K&I traffic on the NM

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Those who have been following this know a pallet co. on my NMRR worked out a trade agreement with a chemical co. on Charlie's K&IRR. Charlie posted some pics a while back of the first NM boxcar load of pallets to make it to his EVM Corp. chemical co. Today the first tank car load of adhesives from the co, has made it to the furniture co. on my layout! Charlie and I think it's nice the L&N was built as our own personal bridge line :D

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 191

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey Tyson,
The pics look fine to me!:cool:
It's great to see some more shots of your layout!
I may have said this before, but that is some of the best looking N scale trackwork I've ever seen!

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Superb idea you and Charlie put into practice Tyson.
Who needs a club when there's The Gauge? :) .
Now then, where's "The Box", or has Gauge Ind's hidden it away in a boxcar?

It's a great arrangement you have there guys and you have proof that it works!

It needs something better than beer to celebrate huh? If you open the champaign magnum, I'll toast to your success :D .

Errol

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Charlie thanks for the kind words, I put a lot of effort into the track to make it look close to scale. However the track is the ONLY thing that is finished in those shots, the low camera angle doesn't let you see the roads, ground cover, etc. isn't in yet. Ahhhhhhh the magic (smoke and mirrors?) of model railroading. :D Errol if you read MR then you know those rich and famous model railroaders swap rolling stock back and forth, even cordinate operating sessions together. I don't see any reason us little guys can't get in on the fun!!!!! :D :cool: :D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hopefully, you don't mean that "last shot" literately!
Your great looking trackwork has inspired me to go back, & do some much needed touch-up work on my scenery!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Tyson,
Here's what I did today...
I built up the ballast, & ground cover a little, & added some trees. I thought it added a nice contrast to all that brick! :)

Attachments

• mvc-007f.jpg
    mvc-007f.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 118

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Fantastic Charlie, looks really great! A lot of people don't realize that even in an industrail area there are scrub trees and bushes as well as weeds and junk. That scene reeks of realism :cool: In regards your previous post I hope thats not my last shot either :D . The track really isn't finished there, still need to age it and add the weeds, etc.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Tyson,
What do you use for ballast?
It doesn't look like the regular Woodland Scenics stuff.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Charlie, sorry it took so long to get back to you but been covered up with work and rolling stock transactions with the Copper Ridge Railway :D . For the Southern and L&N mainline I used Woodland Scenics med-gray color and fine on the size, then aged it with a mixture 75% alcohol, 25% India Ink applied with an eye dropper. All rail is painted flat black and ballasted to the top of the ties.

Attachments

• c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 89

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
For spurs and the Graham County R.R. (which never used ballast) I use a mixture of finely sifted red clay and regular dirt taken from my yard and ballast to the top of the track on the outside of the rails and durn near to the top on the inside, then clean off the inside of the rails with a pocket screwdriver.

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 90

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Great pictures, Tyson!
I love the way that red dirt looks...You have really captured a little piece of the South there!
Thanks for sharing, & keep 'em coming!