K&I traffic on the NM

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Tyson Rayles, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Those who have been following this know a pallet co. on my NMRR worked out a trade agreement with a chemical co. on Charlie's K&IRR. Charlie posted some pics a while back of the first NM boxcar load of pallets to make it to his EVM Corp. chemical co. Today the first tank car load of adhesives from the co, has made it to the furniture co. on my layout! Charlie and I think it's nice the L&N was built as our own personal bridge line :D

Attached Files:

• t1.jpg
      t1.jpg
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Tyson Rayles

The L&N has cut loose from the rest of the train to spot the tank car it the yard.

Attached Files:

• t2.jpg
      t2.jpg
      File size:
      21.4 KB
      Views:
  3. Tyson Rayles

And at last the tank car is spotted at the factory by the NM's GP7.

Attached Files:

• t3.jpg
      t3.jpg
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
  4. Tyson Rayles

My photography doesn't do Charlie's tank car justice. The weathering is as good as I have ever seen!:( I may look at parting with the extra bucks for a 50mm macro.
  5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Hey Tyson,
    The pics look fine to me!:cool:
    It's great to see some more shots of your layout!
    I may have said this before, but that is some of the best looking N scale trackwork I've ever seen!
  6. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Superb idea you and Charlie put into practice Tyson.
    Who needs a club when there's The Gauge? :) .
    Now then, where's "The Box", or has Gauge Ind's hidden it away in a boxcar?

It's a great arrangement you have there guys and you have proof that it works!

It needs something better than beer to celebrate huh? If you open the champaign magnum, I'll toast to your success :D .

Errol
  7. Tyson Rayles

Charlie thanks for the kind words, I put a lot of effort into the track to make it look close to scale. However the track is the ONLY thing that is finished in those shots, the low camera angle doesn't let you see the roads, ground cover, etc. isn't in yet. Ahhhhhhh the magic (smoke and mirrors?) of model railroading. :D Errol if you read MR then you know those rich and famous model railroaders swap rolling stock back and forth, even cordinate operating sessions together. I don't see any reason us little guys can't get in on the fun!!!!! :D :cool: :D
  8. Tyson Rayles

One last shot

Attached Files:

• t5.jpg
      t5.jpg
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Hopefully, you don't mean that "last shot" literately!
    Your great looking trackwork has inspired me to go back, & do some much needed touch-up work on my scenery!
  10. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Tyson,
    Here's what I did today...
    I built up the ballast, & ground cover a little, & added some trees. I thought it added a nice contrast to all that brick! :)

Attached Files:

11. Tyson Rayles

Fantastic Charlie, looks really great! A lot of people don't realize that even in an industrail area there are scrub trees and bushes as well as weeds and junk. That scene reeks of realism :cool: In regards your previous post I hope thats not my last shot either :D . The track really isn't finished there, still need to age it and add the weeds, etc.
  12. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Tyson,
    What do you use for ballast?
    It doesn't look like the regular Woodland Scenics stuff.
  13. Tyson Rayles

Charlie, sorry it took so long to get back to you but been covered up with work and rolling stock transactions with the Copper Ridge Railway :D . For the Southern and L&N mainline I used Woodland Scenics med-gray color and fine on the size, then aged it with a mixture 75% alcohol, 25% India Ink applied with an eye dropper. All rail is painted flat black and ballasted to the top of the ties.

Attached Files:

• c2.jpg
      c2.jpg
      File size:
      20 KB
      Views:
  14. Tyson Rayles

For spurs and the Graham County R.R. (which never used ballast) I use a mixture of finely sifted red clay and regular dirt taken from my yard and ballast to the top of the track on the outside of the rails and durn near to the top on the inside, then clean off the inside of the rails with a pocket screwdriver.

Attached Files:

• c1.jpg
      c1.jpg
      File size:
      24.8 KB
      Views:
  15. Tyson Rayles

For the Nantahala Midland yards and mainline I use a 50-50 mixture of the sifted dirt and ballast and ballast it the same way I do the spurs.

Attached Files:

• c3.jpg
      c3.jpg
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
  16. Tyson Rayles

Another picture with the loco backed up a little and closer in. Notice the rock between the rails. In a cut like this they are a constant problem in real life, this rock however does JUST clear the bottom of my old GP-7 !:D Hope this helps some.
  17. Tyson Rayles

:eek: Oops! Helps if I include the picture!!

Attached Files:

• c4.jpg
      c4.jpg
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
  18. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Great pictures, Tyson!
    I love the way that red dirt looks...You have really captured a little piece of the South there!
    Thanks for sharing, & keep 'em coming!