K&B 3.5 Outboard failure, NEED HELP!!!

Discussion in 'RC Aircraft & Watercraft' started by Cameron351, Aug 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cameron351

Cameron351 New Member

Hello all,
    I am hopeing to find someone that knows about outboards here. I know very little about these other than they go fast and operate simular to an aircraft engine. Here's my problem: I lost a bearing in my K&B 3.5 motor and one ball went through the engine causing a great deal of dammage aprox $150 in parts. I decided to buy a new engine for around $190 with a factory waranty instead of making the major repair. When I called K&B I found they would not be in production of the stock version until early 04. My boat has been broke for a week and I am already missing it, so I don't want to wait until next year! K&B say's they will have the new 3.5 high power motor out next month however I am not sure what to do? My boat runs well with the stock motor so I wanted to run the same combo(may be my ignorance speaking here). I have been doing a bit a looking around and found a Rossi power head that will bolt on my good lower unit, or at least it sounds that way. Can someone with some experience please help me out!!!! I am sure if I make the call by myself; I will get it wrong! I have bad luck hince(the bearing failure). What I am looking for some advice to get my boat up and running quickly with something reliable.
    Thank you all in advance.

[file]Prather_1.jpg,3637,,0[/file]
  2. casey

casey Member

tats why i like electris no offence of any thin i run nitro air boats there lower matinence than outboards of inboards but electrics are even easier i dont know what too tell you
  3. ROBoat

ROBoat New Member

Go to www.intlwaters.com . This is the premiere web site for outboarders. There are plenty of people in there that can help you out with any of your questions. You could probably get parts in there or advice on the Rossi powerhead. Another hot engine right now for your hull is the MAC. It's in www.cmdracing.com
  4. rankinc562

rankinc562 New Member

why not buy a os outboard engine it will bolt right up if you have prather outboard motor mount,but you might have to drill new holes thats it,plus more power
  5. The OS motors are better and faster. I have had several K&B motors and they are ok but I kept stripping out the glow plug threads. I have never stripped a glow plug hole out of any RC motor but K&B. I have had several airplane and rc car and several boat motors and have never had this trouble. I hope the new design is better!
  6. Fredde

Fredde New Member

Go for CMB or MAC, best engines and relaible and a lot of power.
  7. noidster

noidster New Member

casey, no offence but you might try posting in english. That way more people will be able to understand you. And your post did not answer the original question. You probably should have just avoided posting in this thread.

noidster
  8. woodbw

woodbw New Member

Check out this website. He has a large stock of K&B engines and is very easy to deal with.
    http://community-2.webtv.net/EllwoodHobbyRR/EllwoodHobby/

For general boating the K&B's are a good solid engine. I have one that is 20+ years old and still running it each season; just remember to use a fuel with at least 22% oil content. Most fuels except XP 40 Race you will have to add some castor, and dont worry it will not hamper performance.

Brad

http://www.members.shaw.ca/MBRAM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.