JV models sawmill construction

rlundy90

Then go with black construction paper. It is a bit thicker and will lay down flat. You can curl the edges to make it looked rolled. I build a lot of craftsman kits. Cambell uses tissue paper and Keystone Locomotive works uses black construction paper. Both work well but each gives a differnet look.

Glen Haasdyk

Okay I placed the sawmill on my layout to size the whole area up. I haven't laid any scenery in this sectiojn yet other than painting the plywood. I wanted to have the sawill done before that so I can place gravel roads, wast wood piles ect in the right places.
Logs in
Sawmillonlayout1.jpg

Lumber out
Sawmillonlayout2.jpg

Overhead shot:

Sawmillonlayout3.jpg

And the last shot of the Caribou Lumber company's climax picking up some cars

Sawmillonlayout4.jpg

One last pic for now, the finished steam boiler. I will conect it to the steam engine in the sawmill when the whole issue is arranged on the layout

boiler2.jpg

steamhead

XLN'T..!! That scene is going to be a beaut when finished...!!! I'm going to have to look through the thread again to see how you gave the wood that finish...
Are you leaving one whole side of the roof open..?? I'd put a couple of boards on that side to give the illusion that it's being worked on and will be finished...someday...
Again...Congratulations on a GREAT project...!!! :thumb:

Glen Haasdyk

Thanks. I ran out of lumber so this is going to be the way it is, except for some tar paper covering the mis-matched roof section.
I think I might work on the ground cover this weekend if all goes well. the basic cover will be easy, then I add all the junk, weeds, roadway, ect.

Glen Haasdyk

I think I solved the tar paper problem. A couple years ago I bought the DPM Harlee and Son's cycle shop and it's roof was covered in tar paper supplied in the kit. it's a very thin black construction paper, almost as thin as typing paper. Turns out there's enough left over for this project and more. so I'll cover the one part of the roof and roll up some more in strips it show the work in progress.

Glen Haasdyk

I did the basic ground cover yeasterday:

Sawmillscenery1.jpg

First I finalized where the log ramp would be since this determines where the sawmill will sit. I also ran a strip of masking tape around the edge of the layout so my carpet would be protected.

Sawmillscenery2.jpg

I masked off where the ramp would touch the ground so I could find it later

Sawmillscenery3.jpg

I spread full strength white glue all over the area. Then ground cover, using Woodland scenics earth blend ground foam (I find it's a good base to add to). I soaked it down with dilluted white glue in a spray bottle. I added the gravel roads next. I used dark brown fine grade ballast for this. again I soaked it down with the dilluted white glue. Finally I added a bit of green grass ground foam around the earth blend and cinders where the steam boiler will sit. soaking that all with the dilluted white glue. I let all this dry overnight.

Sawmillscenery4.jpg

Here's the sawmill sitting in place with the gravel roads and parking lot surrounding it. I still have to add alot of detail like lumber piles and racks, storage shed, waste wood piles and other junk, vehicles and of course more people.