JV models sawmill construction

steamhead

Wow..!! THIS ia scratchbuilding at its BEST...!! Keep us posted....:thumb:

PD. You don't have an OSHA in Canada..?? They'll straighten that truck driver out right quick..!! :mrgreen:

Nazgul

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!!
Man, is that going to look sweet! keep up the great work:thumb::thumb::thumb:

btw...the individual boards DO LOOK AWESOME!!!!!

Glen Haasdyk

Thanks all, I'm going to finish the interior and then plank half the roof with the individual boards as well.

As far as OSHA. Here in British Columbia we have Work Safe. It used to be called Worker's Compensation which would probably do what OSHA does. Oversee worker saftey and compensate workers that have been injured on the job.

Glen Haasdyk

I've been busy on the boiler. I decided to use the rifle shell as a start. I had some fine brass screen that I fashioned into a cylindrical spark arrestor with some brass strips made from shim brass to simulate the strapping holding it in place. I also used a peice of shim brass to make the firebox door. I''m going to place it on a skit to make it look like an old donkey engine with the pistons and winches removed.
I think after I finish the boiler I'll start arranging the interior for final assembly.

farish

Enjoy the kit, mine went together very nicely. Republic Locomotives has some nice items (steam donkey, etc.) that really provide a nice accent to the kit.

Glen Haasdyk

I finished the boiler. I attached it to a scratchbuild skid and added steam lines and support rods to the top. I haven't weathered it yet be with this part done I can finally start adding all the machinery to the mill itself.

derailed

hi all
the quiet one here
i decided to go and build a small sawmill on my layout
i built a 2-stall loco shed for my loco maintainance of wood
bridges are also wood
so it only right i make my mill from wood
i love the pics of that sawmill posted here
it's a bit big for the space i have tho
is there any ho plans for a mill available?

glenn

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
In the June, and July 1968 Model Railroader, There was a Jack Work article on a Western Sawmill. It covered scratchbuilding the machinery, and the mill, and showed a general arrangement of the structures, and real estate. You should be able to get a copy of the articles from Model Railroader.

derailed

thanks
i only have about 6x12 inches of space to setup
reason for 6 inches wide is that the railroad track is on one side and cliff is on the other
i could probably play with the 12 inch length a bit

glenn

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Your "real estate" would then be 43' X 87', or one boxcar X two boxcars.
The floor of the sawmill would be approximately 40' X 100' at the smallest believable size.
The space you have would best accomodate a team track, with the lumber product trucked in, and loaded on a waiting flat, or in a waiting boxcar.
An industry needs to be just large enough to be "that industry". A shipbuilder's "shed" would be considerably larger than a boatbuilders shed. Then, there needs to be access space. Rail access, employee access, building maintenance access, etc. Some of this, can be off layout, or backdrop, and all you need is "a hint" that it is there, like a sign, "employee parking" with an arrow pointing off the layout.
http://forum.zealot.com/t111767/ shows a small brewery project. You can see the sidewalk across the front, and the hint of alleyways to the left and right. Rail access comes in behind the building. Only two egdes of the diorama needs to be continued into the layout, the sidewalk could be at the front of the layout, and the loading platform alleyway could be around the corner, with the rail access going into a backdrop, and the lefthand alleyway, bordering the other scenery/city structures.
A sawmill, small enough to fit in the space available, would be too small to be served by rail, so, the suggestion of a team track.

Glen Haasdyk

The smallest sawmill available on the market right now it Woodland Scenics Rural sawmill. It's very small and only comes with the machinery. It measures about 6" by 3" when assembled. By contrast my Sawmill space (Including two siding tracks) is 18" by 24" .

I have some new pictures I just haven't uploaded them yet. I also haven't done much with the layout over the last month due to summer and other things.

Glen Haasdyk

Well I have been away for a little while but this weekend the modeling bug bit again and I finally got around to post some more machinery pictures.
First the boiler:

boiler1.jpg

I took the picture before I painted it since the black paint would hide all the detail after. The brass square on the bottom is the firebox door.

edger1.jpg

The edger. It's mostly constructed out of styrene with some very small washers to represent the saw blades inside.

edger1a.jpg

The other side of the edger. the gears are small peweter beads from a beading shop.

Glen Haasdyk

This is the main headsaw:
saw1.jpg

Theres about a dozen parts in this little fellow the saw blade is a real dremel tool blade I picked up in a hardware store.

saw1a.jpg

steamengine1.jpg

The steam engine, scratchbuilt from styrene and some brass tubing. I originally wanted to make the piston and flywheel move but that turned out to unfeasible for my big fingers

steamhead

Hey Glen....You got my vote for the nimblest fingers around..!! I couldn't see those little pieces, much less pick them up...!!!

Would that saw be driven directly by a piston, or be driven via leather bands from a "central" spinning wheel..??

Keep up the good work..!!

Glen Haasdyk

The steam engine would drive most things in the sawmill, headsaw, live rolls, edger ect. Via a belt system that would either be overhead or hidden under the floors. I'll be doing the latter since that's what the kit instructions tell me and it looks easier!

steamhead

It sure would be nice to see a whole set-up of overhead bands and pulleys...but under-the-floor sure sounds easier....I'm with you...

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
glen,its been a while now,wheres the update where all waiting for announce1! your mill looks great so far,i cant wait to see it finished :thumb:.--josh