Justice Served, Texas Style!

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Amazyah, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Justice, Texas Style!

I came across this article on www.iwon.com while browsing the daily national news articles.
    I found it pretty interesting and thought I would share it with everyone here in the OT Lounge.

Texas Wife Indicted After Lover Killed

Mar 30, 5:47 PM (ET)

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) - Darrell Roberson came home from a card game late one night to find his wife
    rolling around with another man in a pickup truck in the driveway.

Caught in the act with her lover, Tracy Denise Roberson - thinking quickly, if not clearly - cried rape, authorities say.
    Her husband pulled a gun and killed the other man with a shot to the head.

On Thursday, a grand jury handed up a manslaughter indictment - against the wife, not the husband.

In a case likely to reinforce the state's reputation for don't-mess-with-Texas justice,
    the grand jury declined to charge the husband with murder, the charge on which he was arrested by police.

"If I found somebody with my wife or with my kids in my house, there's no telling what I might do," said Juan Muniz, 33,
    who was having lunch Friday with one of his two small children at a restaurant in the middle-class
    suburban Dallas neighborhood where the Robersons lived. "I probably would have done the same thing."

Tracy Roberson, 35, could get two to 20 years in prison in the slaying of Devin LaSalle, a 32-year-old UPS employee.

Assistant District Attorney Sean Colston declined to comment on specifics of the case or the grand jury proceedings
    but said Texas law allows a defendant to claim justification if he has "a reasonable belief that his actions are
    necessary, even though what they believe at the time turns out not to be true."

Mark Osler, a Baylor University law school professor and a former federal prosecutor, said the grand jurors evidently put
    themselves in the husband's place: "I can see one of them saying, 'I would have shot the guy, too. I was just protecting my wife.'"

The December night before the shooting, Tracy Roberson sent LaSalle a text message that read in part,
    "Hi friend, come see me please! I need to feel your warm embrace!" according to court papers. LaSalle apparently agreed.

Darrell Roberson, a 38-year-old employee of a real estate firm, discovered the two, his wife clad in a robe and underwear.

When Tracy Roberson cried that she was being raped, LaSalle tried to drive away and her husband
    drew the gun he happened to be carrying and fired several shots at the truck, authorities said.

Darrell Roberson's attorney did not immediately return a call for comment.

His wife also was charged with making a false report to a police officer - for allegedly saying she was raped -
    and could get up to six months behind bars on that offense. It was not immediately clear whether she had a lawyer.

She had not been arrested as of Friday afternoon.
  2. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Don't mess with Texas eh.
  3. Texman

Texman Guest

4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Close...it should read " Don't mess with my damn Wife!".
  5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I found this strange and ironic also....
    The husband was originally arrested for murder and the grand jury refused to indict him.
    The wife was indicted for manslaughter but has not been arrested.

6. I think they've been watching "Desparate Housewives" for to long...:twisted:
    Cheers, Billy
  7. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I lived and worked in Houston Texas in the early nineties, I am glad I came home with justice like that. I think American is a great place, but you do have some funny ways with dealing with things.
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

"Texas. It's like a whole other country!"
    We don't say that for nothing!:twisted:
  9. Kaz

Kaz Member

Isn't Texas the only state that has written down a law that allows them to leave the USA whenever they wish?
  10. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Kaz- I was told that as well, I was also told that Texas would be the only state that would be able to support itself as a different country, if it left the USA. This, as I was told, was due to the fact that the state could support it self and sell oil to the other states.

It was a long time ago, 13 years ago, and the guys that I worked with were from all over the US (Hawaii, New York and other states) and they all agreed.

I was told there was other reasons why Texas could be self goverened, but I can't remember them.

I am not sure if it true or not.
  11. Ahh . . . if so, isn't that one of the basics of federalism?

Indeed - ironically spoken - it would be possible, that Bavaria leaves
    the Federel Republic of Germany, merges with Tirolia and both could re-establish
    the monarchy . . . but: who cares?

Have a nice + sunny weekend

Thomas Pleiner
  12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I never heard that one before.
    I didn't think any state would be allowed to just seperate itself from the US.
    I'm sure Texas would definitely have the resources to take care of themselves though.
    There are many countries that are a lot smaller than Texas.
    That state is huge!

13. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Huge. Your not kidding. It's bigger than France.

Texas 261,797 square miles
    France 260,558 square miles

Only Alaska is bigger 1,717,855 square miles
  14. Clashster

Clashster Member

The thing I find the most strange is that the "raper" was in his car attempting to drive away and the guy shot at the car.... At this point, it seems his wife would not have been in danger.... In another Texas case, a Border Patrol agent shot at a fleeing car with illegal immagrants and accidentally killed a woman stuffed in the wheel well. He was convicted and now sits in jail... Texas justice....
  15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Sounds to me like she was still in the vehicle.

When Tracy Roberson cried that she was being raped, LaSalle tried to drive away and her husband
    drew the gun he happened to be carrying and fired several shots at the truck, authorities said.

16. Clashster

Clashster Member

Ahh, that makes much more sense.... I really shouldn't write things until the coffee kicks in.... :grin:

17. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Murder Defenses

There are two defenses for murder. Accidental,(manslaughter) and self-defense. I've heard that in Texas there is a third defense: "Your Honor, he needed killin'!"

"Guns don't kill people. Husbands that come home early kill people!"

Seriously, though. Speaking as an American, our right to defend ourselves is being seriously eroded. Here in Denver this past week, we had a couple thugs robbing several people at gunpoint. When the victims turned over their wallets, they were shot anyway!

The police cannot and will not protect the individual. As I kid my brother, who is a cop, their main job is to take the report after the crime has been committed.

Rant mode off

18. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Scary. I once heard that in parts of some US cities, the most common medical complication during pregnancy was gunshot wounds.... I also met Bob Lettermann of VLS Corp once, he had been in the St Louis police before starting the model business, and he said his city department alone dealt with more gun-related deaths than the whole of Europe.

19. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Kaz and Paul... I grew up in Texas (tiny little town outside of Austin), and according to our Texas History class (mandatory to graduate from Hih School), both statements are true. Texas maintianed the right to Secede when they went from being a republic to a state. And, at least back in the 80's, between oil, cotton, and other industries, Texas does make enough money to support itself as a Republic again.

Plus, it's where most of the Nukes and some of the bombers to carry them used to be made. Kinda hard to argue with the guys that make the bombs....
  20. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Speaking as an ex-cop (Army MP), I unfortunately have to agree with you. When people ask why I didn't stay with Law Enforcement when I got out, I explain to them that the job felt kind of futile in the military. And there, they at least tried to pre-screen to prevent the idiots from getting in. Not so in the "real world"

When I hear people complain about "how rude the cops are", etc... I remind them of the morons our LE officials have to deal with on a daily basis. And their limited resources to do so in most cities. It's a tough job to keep your spirits up at.

I have mothing but respect for the men and women who voluntarilly decide that that's what they want to do for a living. But having been there, I never want to have to do it again.

And, to get back to the original topic, I agree with the ruling. The man was basically entrapped into a situation where he felt he was defending his family. He was a vitim just as much as the guy he shot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.