Just to say Hello

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Modellbahner, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm Axel, normally from Germany but since one year I'm living and working in San Jose, CA for my German company. I'm not really new to model rail roading but I have made a breake of about more than 10 years, caused by other young-guys-interests like cars and girls :) . In Germany I was more in european trains but I had no layout since I moved out from my parents 10 years ago so I just collected engines and cars sometimes. Here in US I startet again with all the much more interesting engines from USA and Canada and if I'm back to Germany end of this year I think I will start with a layout of an american theme, inspired by California but without a real prototype background. But at first I'm collecting again all the engine types, especially the typical american steam engins with all the curios types.

I also like to visit rail road museums like the California Rail Road State Museum in Sacramento and the museum rail roads of Nyles Canyon or Roaring Camp in Felton. Are there any other museum trains in the Bay Area?

I like this news board and it is every time a pleasure to read the articles. So go on and let this board thrive.

2. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Welcome Aboard The-Gauge Axel :wave: Happy to hear that you are interested in the steam engines here. If you have any questions, ask and we will tell. :D :wave:
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Welcome Axel, and glad you found the Gauge worthwhile to hang around.
  4. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

Hi :wave:

5. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

in the past few weeks I have visited sometimes the layout of SBHRS in Santa Clara and also the small yard at the Santa Clara Train Station but is there any possibility to go to the San Jose Yard? I think this will be much bigger with more traffic. I have also seen in Oakland the service facility of UP from the highway but I never found a way to that. Does someone know if it is possible to visit this places and take some pictures?

6. ausien

ausien Active Member

Although I cant answer your questions Axel, but welcome to the gauge..there will be someone that can & will give you an answer, to those and any others that you may pose..have a good one..steve
  7. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Welcome to the Gauge Axel, It's good to read your experiences in model railroading. Hope you enjoy your time in California.
  8. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Welcome Axel!
    Photographing railroad facilities on their property has always raised issues of trespassing unless you are on adjoining public land or secured permission to be on the property.
    In our post 9/11 world, access to railroad infrastructure has become even more difficult. If you want to get close to the service facility in Oakland I'd advise you to contact the railroad.
    Otherwise, if you can snap pictures from a bridge or other public spot nearby do that...but be prepared to possibly be questioned by rail security or police who may be interested in what you're doing. Pass the "attitude test" when talking to them but do remember that public areas are public areas and you can take pictures if you want to. These issues have caused some controversy lately and conflicts between railfans and security officials have occurred. Probably more info than you wanted! :) Good luck!
  9. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Hello Axel, Ralph your almost up to 2000 posts.
  10. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Greetings! :wave: :wave:
    Do be carful and as polite as possible when trying to get pics.
    Plus, if your accent is heavy you can aspect some guff... play it cool.
    No harm meant, just I know people... they're a squirrelly bunch, particularly if they
    ain't to bright or hard set in their ways.
    As you can see fellows 'round here can answer just about anything.
    Good luck with the plans for yer layout and work.
  11. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge Axel! :wave: :wave:

Good luck with your collecting - both photo's and engines!!! Maybe if you get some good pictures you will post them here for all of us to see.

12. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

It is not in the Bay Area, but probably less than a 2-3 hour drive into the Sierra Nevada foothills in Jamestown you will find the old shops of the Sierra Railroad.
    The property has been turned over to the California State Railroad Museum, but it is very interresting to take the tour through the old engine house, and ride the train that does an out and back for about 5 miles if memory serves on weekends.
    A bit farther East in Portola is the Western Pacific Museum. I think for $100.00 you can still operate a real F unit on the museum grounds. The other railroad museum that is well worth a trip is to Carson City, Nevada just East of Lake Tahoe. They have the Nevada State Railroad Museum there which is dedicated to the Virginia & Truckee Railroad. Also during the summer months an excursion train is operated out of Virginia City that is just a few miles from Carson City. Virginia City is a very interresting old west mining town. They used to pull the excursion train with a steam engine, but they have been rebuilding it. The last time I was there they were using a G.E. 44 tonner to pull it. An interesting thing about the excursion train in Virginia City is that they have turned old bay window cabooses into passenger cars. It is a neat viewpoint to sit in the bay window for the ride. The Nevada State Railroad Museum hopes to eventually rebuild the tracks from Carson City to Virginia City on the old right of way, and offer excursion rides from Carson City to Virginia City. If they ever get that done, it will be a great train ride! I forgot to mention one other railroad to visit. It is North of the Bay area at Fort Bragg. It would be too far to go for a day, but might make a nice weekend outing or even better spend a 3 day weekend and ride the California Western "Skunk." The "Skunk" runs from Fort Bragg on the coast East to Willits. They run four trains daily, I think. One starts in Willets going West and a second starts in Fort Bragg going East. Then in the afternoon they run one from Fort Bragg and one from Willets. I think you can either take a ride halfway to where the trains meet, change to the other train going in the opposite direction for the return, or you can go all the way from Fort Bragg to Willets in the morning, then from Willets to Fort Bragg in the afternoon. The distance is only 45 miles, but I believe the ride takes 3 hours one way because of the rough terrain the train goes through. There are ranchers along the railroad right of way whose only connection with the outside world is the train. There are no roads in the area! In the summer time the trains are pulled by a 2-8-2 Mikado. In winter they run a rebuilt gas electric "doodlebug" that has been repowered by a Cummins diesel engine.
  13. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Welcome to The Gauge Axel :wave:
  14. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Thanks to all, that´s good informations and I will try to visit as most as possible in the next few months. Spirngtime is coming so the weather will be on my side:)

I will try to contact UP in Oakland to see if there is any possibility to visit the facility. I hope it I can visit it because it looks very interesting.