just testing the water

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Gavin171, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Gavin171

Gavin171 New Member

as a new boy thought i would have a go at posting a pic of my attempts at weathering a box car (well that did'ent work!) will try again...... I've got something now but it' a bit to small to view will try again any advice on what size pic i can post.

Attached Files:

2. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge, Gavin. Looks like a fine job weathering. :thumb: I use a Fujifilm FinePix A210 that came with its own program. I have a scenicked track board and a diorama that I set up in natural sunlight. After I crop it, I compress it about 75% in Microsoft Paint. I am not a computer person, I just fumble with the buttons 'til something works ;)

Attached Files:

4. Gavin171

Gavin171 New Member

thanks for advice

if this works will post more..... yes this is better! I building up a stock of southern loco's and wagons, no layout yet but I will enjoy posting pics of my progress

Attached Files:

5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Looks great!
  6. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Great looking car! Looks like it got a little too close to something! :D
  7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Welcome aboard Gavin! Seems like that car has seen some miles. Nice work!
  8. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Very nice, what scale is it?
  9. Gavin171

Gavin171 New Member

thanks shaygetz & Dash10

I don't no to much about american railroads just picking up things as i go along the internet has been a great help, still got a long way tho' thinking about modeling 50's 60's era southern but knowing me it will be NYC, SOUTHERN, SANTA FE, and anything else i can get my hands on in 20ft of loft space, I'm glad i found this site i'm sure it will be a great help. ... answer the above' HO and yes it got just a little to close to my power drill, thanks for comments. just a note the avatar is a pic of one of my loco's GP18 171 sou.
  10. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: great lookin' boxcar, Garvin! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

And :wave: :wave: :wave: Welcome to the-gauge! :wave: :wave: :wave:
  11. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Very nice looking boxcar :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Welcome to The Gauge
  12. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Bienvenu à 'The Gauge', Gavin!

Good weathering job on this boxcar! :thumb:

Just ask questions as many as you like! Yo will always find somebody who has an answer to your problems. Here on the Gauge you find the friendliest bunch of model railroaders anywhere on the web. :wave: :wave: :wave:

13. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

I do like that Gavin. :thumb: Specially that gouged out weatherd bit next to the word "Southern". It that actual damage to the box car, weathered up real good to look like a collsion ageing dented usage gouge? or just the way you've weathered it? :wave:
  14. Gavin171

Gavin171 New Member

basicly Woodie it's strait out of the box and weathered i use variuos tools from cigarette lighters, sand paper, disc cutters to name just a few, tho i'm sure the railroads looked after there stock much better, will post more soon
  15. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Looks like the real thing to me. Great job. Also welcome to the Gauge.

Ron :thumb: :wave:
  16. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Gavin: if you can do a gouge like that, you might try one halfway up the side where the door opens. Some customers would open and close the doors with a fork-lift truck. The railroads hated that.