just testing the water

Gavin171

as a new boy thought i would have a go at posting a pic of my attempts at weathering a box car (well that did'ent work!) will try again...... I've got something now but it' a bit to small to view will try again any advice on what size pic i can post.

Attachments

• suothern.jpg
    suothern.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 182

shaygetz

Welcome to The Gauge, Gavin. Looks like a fine job weathering. :thumb: I use a Fujifilm FinePix A210 that came with its own program. I have a scenicked track board and a diorama that I set up in natural sunlight. After I crop it, I compress it about 75% in Microsoft Paint. I am not a computer person, I just fumble with the buttons 'til something works ;)

Attachments

• genoa!.JPG
    genoa!.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 173

Gavin171

thanks for advice

if this works will post more..... yes this is better! I building up a stock of southern loco's and wagons, no layout yet but I will enjoy posting pics of my progress

Attachments

• southern 2aup.jpg
    southern 2aup.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 168

Gavin171

thanks shaygetz & Dash10

I don't no to much about american railroads just picking up things as i go along the internet has been a great help, still got a long way tho' thinking about modeling 50's 60's era southern but knowing me it will be NYC, SOUTHERN, SANTA FE, and anything else i can get my hands on in 20ft of loft space, I'm glad i found this site i'm sure it will be a great help. ... answer the above' HO and yes it got just a little to close to my power drill, thanks for comments. just a note the avatar is a pic of one of my loco's GP18 171 sou.

RailRon

Bienvenu à 'The Gauge', Gavin!

Good weathering job on this boxcar! :thumb:

Just ask questions as many as you like! Yo will always find somebody who has an answer to your problems. Here on the Gauge you find the friendliest bunch of model railroaders anywhere on the web. :wave: :wave: :wave:

Ron

Woodie

I do like that Gavin. :thumb: Specially that gouged out weatherd bit next to the word "Southern". It that actual damage to the box car, weathered up real good to look like a collsion ageing dented usage gouge? or just the way you've weathered it? :wave:

Gavin171

weathering

basicly Woodie it's strait out of the box and weathered i use variuos tools from cigarette lighters, sand paper, disc cutters to name just a few, tho i'm sure the railroads looked after there stock much better, will post more soon

Pooh Bah
Gavin: if you can do a gouge like that, you might try one halfway up the side where the door opens. Some customers would open and close the doors with a fork-lift truck. The railroads hated that.