Just stumbled upon a SWEET site :)

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by PaperRonin, Aug 15, 2008.

1. PaperRonin

PaperRonin Member

Dunno if I'm reinventing the wheel here, but check this site out:

Papercraft index page with Thumbnails, it's in japanese, but with thumbnails, who bothers right?

Not all links work or are up to date, but I am downright enjoying myself with some sites I have not seen before! :eek::eek::eek:
  2. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Nice find. Lokos like its worth a peak.
  3. bruceuncle

bruceuncle bruceuncle

Found this one a couple of weeks ago too. I think it's been posted before but it's a nice little compendium of links and well worth browsing.

One tip for browsing Japanese sites (and Chinese and other languages for that matter too). The web page may be in Japanese, but the HTML in which the page is written is still generally in English when it come to the links. Step one is to make sure you've got the Status Bar turned on. For Internet Explorer this is 'View\Status Bar' from the menu. Once that's visible at the bottom of the page, each time you hover the mouse pointer over a piccie or link, the URL will be displayed in the Status Bar. This often gives you a pointer as to where the link goes as, although the text on the screen may be Japanese, the link often isn't. So words like "index", "gallery" and "download" in the URL give you a great clue.

You will find some sites that block this, so, if you're really keen, try right-click and select 'View Source' from the pop-up menu - tedious but worth it sometimes.

This also sometimes helps out with a broken link. Look for the essential name component in the original web site's URL, then try Googling it. Sometimes the site's moved server (sound familiar?) and Google usually has the new URL. Obviously, if the site's defunct this won't work. But Google sometimes leads you to a forum discussion where more info can be found on the old site.

Translating a site using Babelfish is useful too (and sometimes highly amusing). However, if the page contains anything other than pure HTML (written in ASP or Javascript for example) the links may fail on the translated page. Just go back to the original page and match the link to the translated one.

Hope I'm not trying to teach granny to suck eggs but a lot of people new to the 'net don't know some of these basics.

Happy hunting!
  4. Cut 'n' Paste

Cut 'n' Paste Ex-pat

Great site! What I like is the large thumbnail pics that I can quickly scan through to see if I've missed any of them. One tip, though - when following a link, right-click and open link in new tab/window, since every time you go back to the main site you have to load up all the thumbs again.

Found a number of models I'd missed!

5. 1reeper

1reeper New Member

There actually is a way to translate it into English, search the actual URL on google, and there should be a "Translate This Page" link you can use. Sometimes the translations are ridiculous, but most times you should be able to understand them.