Edavillenut

Aug 4, 2002
pepperell, ma
www.lighthousehobbies.com
i just scored this car on ebay.

b031_1.jpg

ae8d_1.jpg

ae00_1.jpg

i have been looking for this car for months. i have it and should have it cleaned primed and painted this week :D :D :D :D

N

nachoman

cool!

Sometimes I can't believe 2 ft gauge railroads carried passengers, but they did! There is a local park with a 16" gauge train, representing narrow 3' gauge prototypes. I gotta figure the 2 ft gauge wasn't much bigger than the park train!.

kevin

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Narrow-gauge cars did tend to look very precariously perched on the rails: one reason why a lot of Colorado narrow-gauge locomotives look so low-slung is because they had to be to keep their center of gravity low! The SR&RL and other 2-foot railroads had to be big enough to fit full-sized people into the cars, although they were a bit slimmer than standard gauge cars.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Edavillenut said:
2 foot gauge cars are not that small. there about 10 feet wide. and at leas 9-10 feet in hight

I'm willing to be shown I'm wrong, but very few narrow gauge (2ft or 3ft) cars were even 8ft wide. The physics of keeping the trains on a stable track base which has only 6ft or 7ft long ties, prevents cars from being as wide or as tall as their standard gauge counterparts grew to be.

When narrow gauge was first touted as a way to get around the enourmous start-up costs of putting a railroad into rugged country (1870s and 1880s), narrow gauge cars were in fact very close in size to their standard gauge cousins. But standard gauge wasn't as limited, and the cars grew in size as the power and braking systems were developed to manage the bigger and heavier trains.

Standard gauge track also grew. Ties went from 8ft to today's 9ft, and cross section went from 5x7 inches to 7x9 inches. Creosoted ties, full ballasting, tie plates, and heavier rail were all implemented to help the track to stand up to the heavier loads.

Narrow gauge did not have as much room to grow due to physics. And money was always a major issue, too. Most narrow gauge roads were built that way because they didn't have enough money to build in standard gauge in the first place. Eventually, narrow gauge proved to be a false economy - operating costs were not significantly less except for the initial track work, and the inability to directly and easily interchange loaded cars raised shipping costs for industries reaching off the narrow gauge line.

my thoughts, your choices

Edavillenut

Aug 4, 2002
pepperell, ma
pgandw said:
I'm willing to be shown I'm wrong, but very few narrow gauge (2ft or 3ft) cars were even 8ft wide. The physics of keeping the trains on a stable track base which has only 6ft or 7ft long ties, prevents cars from being as wide or as tall as their standard gauge counterparts grew to be.

When narrow gauge was first touted as a way to get around the enourmous start-up costs of putting a railroad into rugged country (1870s and 1880s), narrow gauge cars were in fact very close in size to their standard gauge cousins. But standard gauge wasn't as limited, and the cars grew in size as the power and braking systems were developed to manage the bigger and heavier trains.

Standard gauge track also grew. Ties went from 8ft to today's 9ft, and cross section went from 5x7 inches to 7x9 inches. Creosoted ties, full ballasting, tie plates, and heavier rail were all implemented to help the track to stand up to the heavier loads.

Narrow gauge did not have as much room to grow due to physics. And money was always a major issue, too. Most narrow gauge roads were built that way because they didn't have enough money to build in standard gauge in the first place. Eventually, narrow gauge proved to be a false economy - operating costs were not significantly less except for the initial track work, and the inability to directly and easily interchange loaded cars raised shipping costs for industries reaching off the narrow gauge line.

my thoughts, your choices

your right i dont know what i was thinking when i wrote that most of the 2 foot gauge i am modeling is between 6-7 feet wide.

i guess that the problem when you model narrow and standard gauge

Edavillenut

Aug 4, 2002
pepperell, ma
i know alot about the maine 2 footers. mostley because i have worked on them. yes i know you guys will be looking for more pics i am just so busy at my store that i dont have time for modeling any more. after xmas i should be able to get it all painted. my rail and spikes should be in today and i can start laying my track

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Originally, 3' gauge passenger cars used 1-2 seating much like modern airlines that use 2-3 seating. Barney & Smith came along and wanted to use 2-2...unlike Jackson & Sharp and other narrow gauge manufacturers.

1-2 meaning 1 seat to the left...2 seats to the right of the aisle.

Nice score!