Just Killed my first D C C CHIP

Why me

:cry: Hi guys just burnt out my first attemt installing a plug in chip work fine forward and backwards then started to smoke and get boiling hot so guys what have i done wron any thought befoe i start on second chip :eek:ops: :eek: .mike

capt_turk

First possiblility I can think of is that the decoder could have been bad. Especially if it was a plug in decoder. If you plug them in backwards, the train just runs backwards.
Second possibilty is that the decoder did not have a high enough amperage rating for the loco.
Third possibilty. I don't have a clue. Anybody else got any suggestions?

P.S. If it had been a wired in decoder then a possibilty is getting the black and gray wires switched. I'm half color blind and the difference in colors is hard to tell sometimes. I had that happen to me.
Good luck!

Pooh Bah
Was the motor totally isolated from the frame and pickups?
Were there any spare wires touching anything?
Were any of the wires where they could get rubbed by the mechanism or caught in it?
Was the chip isolated from the frame? They often come with a plastic wrap, but some need a bit of tape insulation on one side.

Welcome to the club, we all burn at least 1 or 2 decoders. Lyuckily, if you use Lenz or NCE decoders you can get them replaced for free (or very little cost).

Now for the questions, what locomotive was it you were trying to put a decoder in and what Decoder was it you were trying to install. I'm guessing the Amp draw of the loco wasto much for that decoder. answer these questions and we can point you to the right decoder for that Loco.

Why me

loco bein dcc install roco ho DUWAG TRAMWAY chip bein used is a bachmann 4 function plug and go it went plug and died LOL.mike

dhutch

I toasted both of my ZTC decorders, aparntly the grayham farish motors had lost some of the magnatism, and thus what drawing more current, and that when the decoders where a bit under rated, especially when working in thre wire mode.

- so i got them remagnetised, and the chassis isolated, so i could use a 4wire decoder, anf fitted the (half price) replaments, which also had a higher current rating

daniel

Yep, we've all been there hutch. My record stands about 12-1, and I hope to keep it that way (at least on the 1 side). My "burnout" was definitely due to a not-isolated motor, FWIW.

Kris