Just got my hands on a CN C44-9W

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Agatheron, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

Well... mostly... I actually successfully bid on a CN Shell for a C44-9W... Curiously enough in the same week, someone was offering the mechanism for the Kato locomotive without the shell... Both auctions came through, and I now have one of these big beasties. Considering I am collecting CN for my upcoming layout, this is a pretty big coup for me... But with it comes a few questions.

1. The trucks on the Kato C44-9W are grey, but at my request, the fuel tank came black. Is it best to dismantle the trucks and paint them black, or am I safer to order the appropriate trucks from Kato (they are available) and simply replace them? Even with this, the locomotive looks okay with the shell on... it's just slightly out of place.

2. I will need to replace the Rapido couplers with the Microtrains ones... since i've never done this before, I will need some tips.

3. Has anybody out there done the circuitboard switch with the new digitrax decoder that will fit into the C44-9W without any hull modifications?

In the meantime, I have now moved to Mississauga, and am in process of purchasing a new home with my wife... which may mean I will actually have real space for a real layout!! :)

Now if only Athearn will get off their tails and release those CN SD75I's :p
  2. interurban

interurban Active Member

I would weather the trucks first and then if it`s not to your liking order new.
    Ever been to Railview, 14th ave and Eldon? Dave Morgan has lots of stuff give him a call and check for trucks there.
    The guys will get to you re other ?
  3. engineshop

engineshop Member

The trucks on Kato models come off really easy you only have to watch for the axle since they are not attached to anything. I usually put a scotch tape over the axle and keep the mechanism up side down until I am done with painting.
  4. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

Thanks for the input so far. The advantage to the body shell is that it has no numbers on it so far, but it does have the CN north america logo on it. As such, if I am to keep it 'real' my choices for road numbers are 2500-2522.

Go figure...
  5. PnP Hobbies

PnP Hobbies Member

I am custom Painting CN engines if you need any please let me know I am currently working on an SD70I and an SD40-2Q (snoot -2) CN had about 30 in there fleet that I can find so far. I have several -9 shells as eell as other engines.... My prices are fare.
    To answer a question you had the DCC conversions are really simple. also to paint the trucks of your -9is not to hare to dissamble just be carefull..

6. PnP Hobbies

PnP Hobbies Member

There are 5 Cn units on ebay now a factory -9 and 4 others that are custom painted 2 -9's a SD70I and a snoot-2 SD40-2Q