Just found this at Atlas forum

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Two ideas come to mind...

I like the idea of flat Arnold travelling the world, but I have a slightly different idea....

The first idea is to make this thread a "Sticky" one...

The second idea comes from something that my wife did with one of her list-serve groups....

Instead of passing the same item from one member to the next, they received one item, but then sent something else to the next person on the list. This was done in circles. The moderator set up a few different circles with about a dozen people in each circle that were all in the same area.

So in our case it would work something like this:

MCL_RDG would send philip a 40' boxcar.

philip would then keep the 40' boxcar and send sumpter250 a skeleton log car.

sumpter250 would keep the skeleton log car and send an autoparts car to Edavillenut.

Edavillenut would keep that autoparts car and send a passenger coach to Matthyro

Matthyro would keep that passenger coach and send a jordan spreader to davidstrains

davidstrains would keep that jordan spreader and send MCL_RDG a spine car.

That would be a circle of 6 people. each would receive a car in their scale/guage and pass a new car to the next person in their circle.

I know there are a few Gauge members in Southern and Central Ontario Canada. Postage should be cheap since we're so close together, and some of us could even get to meet each other for this excersize. Plus, we wouldn't have to worry about customs and duties...

Just an idea....

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Well,...

...my original comments were directed at the thought of not having to forward anything physical thru the mail for cost purposes. Now that this thing has had a chance to gel a little...

I could see my way clear to decorating an MCL car with a "Gauge" shipment. Let me think out loud here for a sec-

A banner/ribbon that could be wrapped around the car of choice from the contributing RR.

The ribbon could be designed to be printed in all popular gauges- offered here- printed at home. Trimmed and pampered neatly onto the car- sent to the reciever...

I offer that as a thought- to transfer cars between participating roads while representing the gauge. It'd be a thrill to be in receivership of a participating road, and so- send mine along to whomever.

I'm sure this idea could be refined more, I could only spare this 5 minutes right now.

Mark

C

Catt

I have read where one or more are having a problem with the ATLAS forum car being an ATLAS product.Ya know you may have something there bonky,why would the guys on the ATLAS forum want to use an ATLAS car to celebrate the ATLAS forum members?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hmmmmm, there's lots of good ideas. Once whatever we do is up and running it makes sense to me to make the thread "sticky". 88 has already offered his box car...perhaps we should take him up on the offer and get things started?

For folks who aren't sure if they want to circulate a car, I don't see anything wrong with more than one Gauge related item (be it car, box, or sign, etc.) making the rounds at the same time. That would let more members paticipate more quickly. We could email and sign up for the item we wanted to circulate. If some members wanted to do two or more of those items available, no problem!
Ralph

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi:
Great idea Shamus! Let's send 88's Gauge car around and also send a "Box". Each person can then use one or the other, whichever fits into their layout for the picture! Also, liked Jon's idea to send it regionally to cut shipping time and costs.

Count me in!

Fun, fun, fun,
Now we just need some sun, sun, sun,

Cloudy in Carolina,
Ted

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Something to keep

If we follow my idea, we wouldn't have to worry about a few things...

Firstly; If you know the scale/gauge that the person you are sending to models, then he/she will receive something that they can keep and use.

We don't have to stick to just railcars. The box would be fine, but you could also send a batch of trees, or a structure.

It gives us a chance to try out modeling a different scale/gauge without any major commitment. For example, I started out in HO but recently changed to On30. This would give me the chance to try N or G scale modelling without abandoning On30.

We'd get to share our modeling skills with each other and get to keep a souvenier of each others work.

Lastly, it would speed up the whole process. Instead of waiting years for the item to make its 'round the world trip, we could do this in a couple of months. You wouldn't have to wait for an item to arrive, hang on to it for a short bit while you photograph it, and then send it on to the next person.

You could do this as a sort of secret santa deal. Every one just draw a name and send them something. A month or two to build or bash something together and send it.

Just set a dollar figure like ~$20 plus shipping and handleing and a few hours worth of time to customize the item and add The Gauge markings to it.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
A rethink?

I think- when analyzed, we have everything right here to transfer and communicate our ideas.

The concept of transferring a physical piece of "Gauge" anything is prohibitive in many instances and means.

It's a cute idea- I'd join for the "happening" but until a defined objective is deceided- it's mute.

As fun as it would be to trade/transfer a Gauge car...

...transferring time, effort and money into a project like this would seem almost antithetical upon reflection.

Like dad says, "Let's not and say we did"!

Mark:D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Got it 88! Thanks! Tingoat, I'll be forwarding the car shortly after I get it.

Well, I realize there isn't a consensus about the traveling box car idea but some of us have decided to get it going. 88 has generously supplied the car, so why not? Those of us who receive the car will post pics and offer the opportunity for others to request delivery to their layout. Folks who would rather exchange other items are welcome to do so and hopefully will be willing to let us box car forwarders join in the fun as well.

The Gauge car is rollin!!!!
Ralph

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Under a full head of steam!

Well we've got 3 on board! Thanks eightyeightfan1 for supplying the rolling stock. I'm going to have to get busy on something to display it on for when it gets to me....

Remind me agian... This is an HO Standard Guage Boxcar? Kaydee compatable couplers?

It'll be like Gulliver visiting Brobdinag (sp?) on my On30 Module! LOL!

Maybe I'll pose it with my Thomas Kinkade Cristmas Train...

At least I won't have to regauge the rails for it. :D

SLOW

Nov 18, 2002
buffalo ny
Visit site
Re:

I wold like to have insurence! If some one sent me a nice pice of art! The 280 n scale is nice! I cant ponder the thought if somethin happen to it! IT cuold happen! it takes a lot of trust! to send a pice of ART! at the last show in Dec, I buoght some cars , the old wooden cars, after I looked in the magizeen of 2001 year, Nov, issue! I passed up a grate deial, I should of bought the hole lot! @ two dollers a pice, I dont think he or I Knew what he had!!:confused: one thing is nice , is to goo , I luck out out on soms cars!;) as a kid I usta love the rummbel of all the cas locking together, and here the rummbel!( it was in my back yard, who cuold I miss it! It was TOO COOL! that will some thing, that I I will allways keep in my hart! :) My mother said dont play on the TRAX!