Just curious????

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I've seen it done before, if it isn't right next to an N scale model, it looks fine.
Too bad they don't have a standard scale for all models!

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It seems that almost everything other than trains uses "standard" scales. The only easy scales in use for trains are 1/32 (Gauge 1), 1/48 (O - North America only) and 1/64 (S). No 1/72, 1/96, 1/144, etc.

In the case of N, it's because it wasn't made to be a specific scale. Unlike older scales like O and HO (but like Z would later be), the scale ratio for N was determined by measuring Arnold Rapido models rather than the other way round.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Don't get fooled by the...

...feathers. Seems you need to make a choice. Close enough, not.

The plastic airplane/ship model producers won't build new molds for any scale- they already have the mold and they sell. Heck, I still see the same kits on the shelves since I was kid. That's all anyone would do. I guess the 1:144 looks better in the pocket when yer walking by the girls at school.:p

Anonomous.

Mark

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
It looks fine as long as there isn't anything that can give it away close by, as noted by SD90 above.

I would suggest putting it back a bit from the front of the layout as a bit of "forced perspective."

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
A few years ago I bought a bunch (around 100) of what looked like close to N scale vehicles. After getting a few on my layout they really looked oversize. Even though they were detailed nicely, I just couldn't use them. I checked their scale and figured they were around 1:150. I kept some that looked like they'd work, a fire engine, a Hummer, a helicopter, and a few trucks. The rest I give out to the grandkids a few at a time when they come over.

I think a lot of the N scale vehicles that I have are a bit undersized, but oversize does show up a lot more than undersized.

engineshop

Apr 29, 2003
San Rafael, CA USA
www.engineshop.org
Some airplanes work okay since they are not very large as the real thing. I am working on the Boeing train with the fuselage on a flat car. The airplane is also 1:144 but I chose the 737-100/200 model with the shortes fuselage which makes up for difference in size.