Just curious, what camera are you using

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I have an Olympus Camedia D-390 (2 Mpx). It does pretty well for the price, but it doesn't have an optical zoom.

Here is a portion of a larger photo that I took with the macro lense:

Attachments

• macro.jpg
    macro.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 176

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-P52. It hasn't got any macro function, but it take awsome pictures, beeing possible to take very near our target.

DSC-P52_IM.jpg

It's relly cool, and taking pictures in auto settings it's awsome. I bet taking in costum modes must be better.

here's an example. it was at a distance of 5cm of my station building.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 157

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I use a Sony Mavica FD73.
It5 has its pros
& cons...
On the con side...
it's all automatic...focus, apature (sp), etc...the depth of field leaves a lot to be desired, & coming in at a little under 2mp, the resolution isn't that great either...
On the pro side...
It has to be the most "user-friendly" camera I've had dealings with...it stores images on a floppy...pop it in, snap a pic, pop it in the PC, bam! No USB's, No downloading...
It also has a macro lens, w/10x zoom, which is really nice for N scale models!

Attachments

• closeup14.jpg
    closeup14.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 144

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Digital!! Bah! Humbug!

Still using a 18yr old (or there abouts)
Minolta X-370 with a 28-70 tele and a 200 for some good telecrunch. As for film I prefer Fuji Sensia II .. lots of blues and greens around here in the maritimes so it seems to suit.

Graham

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Originally posted by davidstrains
I use the Sony DSC-S75 Cyber-shot. I like the digital zoom and it's macro setting for closeup work.

Same here. Great camera, great lens, able to be fully auto or all manual...works well for me.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I bought a Vivitar 3665 on sale about a year and a half ago, before I knew I'd be using it for close-ups of models. It is 2.1 megapixel, has a 3X optical zoom and does have a macro function. I would prefer something around 5 meg, 10X, with a super-macro and one that doesn't run the batteries down so quick; but hey, I got it it for well under $200. :D :D I guess the "you get what you pay for" hold true.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don

Originally posted by CSX6638
As a follow up to my first post I use a USB card reader, what I like about it is that I can view all the photos on a card and transfer only the ones that I like to my hard drive, this way my drive is not loaded up with photos that I will never use. I have 8, 16, 32, 64 and 128 MB cards and I find the reader to be easy as it's connected to my computer all the time. I also like the fact that I don't have to connect my camera to the computer, I can leave it on the tripod, remove the card view it and retake if I don't like the results without moving the camera. Inside I also use an Olympus battery eliminator, don't have to worry about changing batts. in the middle of taking photos.

This is how I download my photos also. I like the convenience of a card reader. I have a SanDisk CF card reader (approx. $30 U.S.) hooked up to my desktop Mac and a CF card adapter/reader (approx. $15 U.S.) for one of the PCMCIA slots on my PowerBook. As CSX said, using a card reader eliminates the need to hook the camera up to the computer or remove it from a tripod.

I also got the AC adaptor for my camera and use it when shooting model/layout photos. It sure eliminates the need to constantly recharge batteries. :thumb:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Some excellent looking photos along with great camera's. Later on I shall be getting a better digital, but for now I have to stick with my C700. here's the latest photo.
Shamus
por.jpg

Hmmm, I don't have a camera worth mentioning as my digital cameras all cost below $20. I do have a couple of Fuji Finepix that visit regularly. I'm not that much of a still buff. My current favourite cam is ;
DSCF1350.sized.jpg

I also have several other X10's including a ninja(remote controlled pan & tilt). Also a Minolta tape camcorder, 2 Sony tape camcorders an enormous Sony camera without the portable beta so it needs rewiring to be useful and a regularly visiting Panasonic Digital Cam corder. Oh yeah a couple of I-bot fire-wire cams and the obligatory Logitech USB webcams.

Anyone impressed should reread my first sentence, this collection cost a fraction of the Finepix cost, ebay, x10 deals, camera and computer swap meets.

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
I just got my new digital camera and I am very happy! :D

It's a Sony DSC-V1 5.0 megapixel and out of the box, the picture below is what I took. I didn't take any measures to secure good lighting... it's 10 minutes to 3am and I haven't read the manual yet... so let's see how this turns out.

For reference, (those of you following my Chevron thread will know) this picture was taken standing up (not leaning down) and the model was sitting on my work table... the picture completely included the model, with about as much "padding" around the edges. I didn't resize or touch it up, I simply cropped to 640x480. Here's the raw image:

Attachments

• camera-test.jpg
    camera-test.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 174

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
... and here is the entire image... resized to 640 x 480.

What do you think? I hope I got my money's worth! :)

Attachments

• camera-test-2.jpg
    camera-test-2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 173

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
Shamus,

Based mostly on the quality of the pictures you are able to take with your camera, I purchased an Olympus C-750. I can't say enough about this camera! It's been a wonderful tool (and toy) so far. :thumb:

I just wish I had some of my own model railroad scenes to photograph. :cry:

Stan

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Steam Donkey
Shamus,

Based mostly on the quality of the pictures you are able to take with your camera, I purchased an Olympus C-750. I can't say enough about this camera! It's been a wonderful tool (and toy) so far. :thumb:

I just wish I had some of my own model railroad scenes to photograph. :cry:

Stan
Hi Stan,
Nice camera that, here's the settings I use on my C700, should be the same .
On the Olympus , rotate the dial to A/S/M
Now power up the camera – press OK button (in the middle)
Press right button next to the OK button for “MODE MENU” PRESS RIGHT BUTTON AGAIN. (New screen)
ISO set it to 100 (press ok) move down and set A/S/M TO “A” (press ok)
Press left button next to “ok” to go back.
Press bottom button then right button for Picture and set that to “SHQ” (press ok)
Go down to the bottom for “SETUP”
Press right button next to “OK” for custom
All the way to the bottom and press “Custom”
Set Fno. to f8 and move down one and set shutter speed to 1/30 press left button twice
To go back to normal screen then press OK to quit.

Camera is now set up for indoor photo shooting using good lighting, if you just want to take a photo outdoors, move the dial to AUTO and take pictures, for your railroad stuff, move the dial back to A/S/M --- There are loads more settings you can use, but lets try this first.

For Macro use the above settings, place the camera on a tripod and switch on the camera to “A” (A/S/M) Just right of the viewfinder you will see three buttons, next to the one marked Drive is the button for using macro along with other stuff. Press that button three times until the flower is in the window. It’s now ready to take a macro photo, now press the button marked “Drive” 4 times to get the camera into time exposure mode (10 seconds) set the camera to the place you wish to photograph up close, (2” it will go down to) and take the picture. It’s as easy as that.

Shamus