Just call me the "noobiest"

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by drwrist, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drwrist

drwrist New Member

Hi folks;

I have been looking at your forum for a while, now.

I got interested in cardmodeling when Spaceship One claimed the Ansari prize.

There was video of the pilot of the second flight bouncing a model of the craft between his hands while in microgravity. I decided that there was probably a model for sale somewhere. A search on the web turned up the fact that the model with which the pilot was playing was made of paper from a downloadable pattern.

I downloaded Ralph Currell's pattern (Thank you, Mr. Currell) and quickly realized that I was in way over my head.

But my lifelong attraction to aircraft made this a natural thing for me to want to do, when the weather is not so good.

More searching lead to easier patterns downloadable for free. As well as those at Fiddlers' Green. I also purchased two copies of an XB-70 model that is also still way to advenced for me.

I really have not yet screwed up sufficient masculine plumbing to even begin a first model. I just printed up a very basic XB-70 I have had on the drive for a while that used to be available at: http://www.homepage3.nifty.com/ctri . Though it seems to be gone.

The most boot question that I have at the moment is this: what the devil is a PDO file and why can I not open them? I am running firefox under MEPIS LInux.

Okay, cover me guys, I'm going in!
  2. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

heloo ther and welcome to the forum you will enjoy it here.
    pdo is a file that only opens in pepakura its a 3d file that pepakura unfolds into a paper pattern ready to print of. here is the link to the pepakura viewer.

enjoy the hobby. and i hope it helps.
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I thought this stuff was above my head when I first started, too. Being attracted to aircraft as you state you are, you are kinda jumping into the "deep end of the pool", in my opinion, but after a couple of tries, you'll get it. It's not as bad as it seems. If I can figure it out, anyone can!!

Welcome, and good luck!
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

See many more works made with Pepakura HERE on the english site and HERE on the Japanese site.

Download Pepakura Viewer at the link rlc321 posted, (you may need to turn down your hardware acceleration to run Pepakura) open the file you want to view, copy to clipboard, and paste as new image. Then you will be ready to print.

Lots to see here...lots to do! Have fun neighbor!
  5. drwrist

drwrist New Member

Wow, that was quick! Thank you for the scoop and for the words of encouragement. I have already downloaded the Pepakura viewer and will install it when I reboot in windows. I could not find an open source equivalent (Now that I know what to look for.) but I will.

Thank you, again,

The Dr.
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I think Peparkura has the make as that is their extention........... but who knows there are a lot of people out there making everything open.

Welcome to the site, and know that everything is over our heads too, we just refuse to admitt it!

No really........... the more you practice the better you'll get. Before you know it, you will make a wonderfully complicated model and have it look just like it is suppossed too! AND you will be surprised!

If you run into any problems just holler.............. somebody will help you out. That's one of the coolest thing about this site!

7. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Everyone starts out a beginner

Welcome aboard drwrist.

Don't worry about messing up models. That's the best part of this hobby. If you trash a part you just print another page, and use what you learned the first time to make it right the second. And with so many free models out there to practice on, you don't have to spend much money to hone your skills.

I've got one of those XB-70 models myself (haven't dared try it yet). So far I've made a bunch of free stuff (lost count some time back - over 20 now I think). My next build is going to be my first attempt at a commercial model.

Look forward to sharing your experiences.

8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome to the fold! Dont worry about starting something hard. You can just reprint :) just try not to get too frustrated with it. Any questions hollar and post pics of both your success's and failures - you will get lots of tips to help!!! trust me, i know cause I get them all the time :)
  9. sakrison

sakrison Member

One model that I have long recommended as a good first scale paper model is the Priloga Cessna 172--a free download at http://www.tzs.si/revija_tim/1999_2000/Cessna_172/Cessna.htm. It will teach you most of the basic techniques and it's a nice scale model when you're done.
    The model kit is on the first page. On the upper right, click on: "Priloga z načrtom." (Above the Adobe Reader icon.)
    At the bottom right, clicking on "Izdelava" will take you to the instruction photos. The directions are in Slovenian, but the photos provide a good guide, and you can ask for help here on the forum if you have any questions.

A few things that aren’t shown in the assembly photos will make the C172 kit easier and give you a stronger model. (I have several 10-year-old card models that are still in great shape.)
    1. All the parts on the first page (“List 5”) must be laminated to heavier card, about 0.5-1mm thick. Before cutting them to fiinal shape. The backs of yellow writing pads or two thinknesses of cereal box are about the right weight and stiffness. For smaller parts like wheels, one thickness of cereal boxes works. My favorite glue for laminations is Avery's Glu Stick.
    2. Glue a weight (I used two nickels) to bulkhead # 10, so the finished model won’t sit on its tail. I used scrap card to make straps to hold the nickels in place, or you could epoxy them in place.
    3. Replace the built-up paper wing spar with a wooden spar. I used 1/4” by 1/8” basswood from my modeling scrap box; hard balsa (1/4” x 1/4”) should work just as well. Assemble the paper spar (parts #s 23-25) and use it as a template to shape the single-piece wooden spar.
    4. Use piano wire or brass wire stiffeners (about 1/32” dia.) in the wing lift struts.
    5. Add an extra lamination or two (from scrap) to the main gear leg assembly (parts # 33).
    6. For a much stronger nose gear leg, roll a small piece of typing paper into a tight paper tube the same diameter and length as the gear leg (part # 32). Cut the scissors joint from parts # 32 and glue it to your tube.
    7. Assemble the wheel pants (part #s 41-43) starting at the back and working forward. The openings are smaller than the tires. I cut the openings bigger so the finished wheel pants would drop onto the finished landing gear.
    8. Use a round or square, double-ended toothpick as a horizontal stabilizer spar. Position and glue the toothpick in the fuselage (pre-punch or pre-drill the holes) then drill matching holes in the inboard ribs and slide each stabilizer assembly onto the toothpick. That creates a stronger bond and makes it easier to align the two sides of the stabilizer.
    9. In each propeller blade, use a flat toothpick about 2/3 as long as the blade, to provide stiffness. Sand the flat end to a tapered thickness and use the pointed end to attach the blade to the hub.

After you've built the Cessna, try Ralph Currell's V-1 Buzz Bomb for a bit more advanced model. His V-2 is also a good one. Currell's SpaceShip One is a nice kit but definitely not for beginners. Don't worry, you'll work up to it.

With printed kits, remember that you can scan (or photocopy) a part and test-build it for practice (and experimentation) before cutting out and building the printed part. (Just remember that scanning and giving away or selling copyrighted kits is a "no-no," much frowned upon in this forum. Scans and copies for your own use are fine.)

Have fun. You're about to become seriously addicted to a great hobby!

"If you're not confused, you're not paying attention." -- Tom Peters
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Feel free to fold, spindle, mutilate, score, cut, scribe, mark, paint, sand, bend, tear, wet, mush, squish, mold, emboss, burnish, glue, stiffen and harden to your heart's content. Included are any other verbs that demonstrate the art of paper modeling in any way...,

Have fun and remember what Yoda actually said, "May your blade be sharp"...,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.