Just Because

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Have you ever done something "just because" you wanted to do it or try it? I just did. I had fully intended to get started on applying some scenery to the layout when I saw the Kato Mikado traction wheel set that I bought at the Greenburg TS last week. So I picked up my Mike and dropped the wheel set in and put it on the track for a test run. It took 10 cars easily then I added 10 more and it handled them as easily. (this is around the whole layout with its 2+% grade in some places) Now it was a challenge. How many would it pull before it slipped. I took it up to 36 and it was still pulling. Have to put the MT trucks and couplers on some more cars to see what its limit is. Just because.:) :) :)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey David!
That's my universal answer to most questions I get from my wife & daughters, that pertain to my modeling...
Example:

Q - "Why are you building ANOTHER layout?"

A - "Just because." :D :rolleyes: :D

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
BTW, it is pulling 45 now and still no slip on the grade. Ran out of MT trucks and couplers for the cars and have to make an adapter car to connect a few "horn hooks". It's got to slip sooner or later.:D

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
The full meaning and the proper (if only colloquial) use of "because" I learned from my 4 boys when they were growing up. When I would ask, "Why did you do that?" or "Why do you want that?", the answer was, invariably, "Because." Taking a lead from them, when they became teenagers and asked, "Why can't I?", my answer was an unswerving and unarguable, "Because!" I still find it fills a void when a more reasonable excuse or argument escapes me, so when I saw a Big Boy at a show some years ago, and I had no "real" reason to buy it, but had the $$$ to do so, I bought it! Why, you ask? "Because....":rolleyes:

Dick

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
David, Make sure you keep an eye on it because with the traction tire it probably will not slip, it will reach a point where it stalls instead, and that will heat up the motor fast.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
A C&P (cut and paste) Just Because!

Here's a little rant about how much fun model railroading can be. I copied and pasted part of a thread response to RE: How to model helpers.

Have we forgotten? I once ran a 200+ car train with Blake at a club we belonged to. 5 lead engine, 120 cars, 2 mid-train helpers, 80+ cars and a pusher on the end. All Athearn equipment. No DCC, no computers, no club rules, no nothing. We just did it.

Why, because! Because we wanted to do it. It was kewl, 200+ cars moved with 5 lead engines, 2 mid-train helpers and a pusher.

Mark

btw- there was approximately a 20" rise from lead to end of train over 40' of spaghetti bowl.