Just arrived - a proposal or challenge

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Retired_for_now, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Hello all,
    Just joined this great group. I've been obsessing over card models since I found Ton's creations and Jon Leslie's site last winter (pix posted in albums). OK, I did build a lot of plastic models and created some simple scratch built card models of ships several decades ago.

The challenge - rather than your models gathering dust on the shelves I'd like to see how many of your creations you can get into the hands of (or in front of for the more delicate examples) school kids. For a starting benchmark - I've put 33 various models (rockets and satellites) into local schools so far. I'm hoping to visit another elementary school on 1 May and lead three classes in building their own ARES I rockets based on an enlargement of Roland's ARES from his launcher on Jon Leslie's web site http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_real.html . (I won't count the kids production in my total).

I love the building more than the looking at - and the wife won't dust 'em - so it works out for me. How about you?

Current project: Solar system tour with at least one spacecraft per planet (models suitable for non-experts, the kids, to construct).

Next up: Back off until the winter while I build a boat and finish rebuilding the dock.
  2. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Status Update

Back from a short vacation and off to the shop.

Solar system tour almost complete 1:48 scale (mostly):
    Sun - SOHO (original scratch built - posted at Jon Leslie's site)
    Solar Probe + (original scratch built)
    Mercury - MESSENGER (orginal scratch built)
    Venus - Magellan (original scratch built - posted at Jon Leslie's site http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_real.html
    Earth - still working on a set of observatories (Ton's Hubble; NASA Chandra, Compton, Spitzer; James Webb; ESA's COROT planet finder) likely done this fall.

Mars - Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (orginal scratch built - posted at Jon Leslie's)
    Mars Rover 1:15 - E. te Groen's from landsbergen (with detail mods)
    To be continued ...
  3. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Status continued

Mars Polar Lander 1:12 - from NASA (with detail mods to more closely match Phoenix)
    Jupiter - Pioneer 10/11 (Ton's design)
    Galileo - from NASA (with a few detail mods)
    Saturn - Cassini from NASA (with some detail mods to add 3-D to instruments and structure)
    Uranus/Neptune - Voyager (original scratch built, posted at Jon Leslie's site) No where near Ton's version, but easier for
    little hands to build.
    Pluto - New Horizon from Vaughn Hoxie (with a few 3-D mods), model now posted at:
    http://lasp.colorado.edu/~hoxie/New Horizons Model.pdf and http://lasp.colorado.edu/~hoxie/Model Instructions.pdf
    To be continued ...
  4. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Status continued

Comets - Deep Impact from JPL
    Asteroids - NEAR from JPL with 3-D mods and details added
    Still need to do the Dawn and Deep Space One probes

What's missing?

5. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Really froody dude! Nice builds!

Oh yea, welcome! :D
  6. Padre

Padre Guest

Great models, nice work, NASA needs to hire you.
  7. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Thanks - nothing close to Ton's skills or Thunderchild's Gunstar (awesome!); but it keeps me happy.

Padre, way too many boats in the collection for a retired AF MSgt? (Oops, did my research - an enjoyable task in itself - following your entire build thread. Definitely dedicated to service with both your careers, THANK YOU) - but I am in awe of the time and fine motor skills evident in your detail work. My excuse is I'm doing simple designs to get the school kids excited ...

8. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

First of the Telescopes

Got the first telescope done - Ton's intermediate Hubble with a few bits (bump plates and graple fixures) from the extremely realistic, fantastically complex, billion-part expert model. (Ok, I suffer from Noteboom envy and will get around to building his Voyager ... soon?)
    The CSIRO ISS looks like a pretty good classroom project, though I modified most of the assembly tabs (smaller and more of them). Seemed to give a better shape.

9. Are you aware of this site; it can keep you bussy for the next couple of years

Vendors wishing to reach our membership must pay fees to CG. Promoting competitive or commercial sites by posting links or making referrals is prohibited - Maico Shark
  10. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Hey Yogi, when you say you are from NW Florida, I assume you are retired Navy. I retired from the navy 16 years ago. My latest project is trying to actually be retired! So far it's working out fine. Paper modeling is a great hobby for a frugal retiree, as long as you don't spend too much on ink. Not sure if I'll be able to (or want to) drag retirement out forever, so like you, I'm retired for now. Great work and a great project bringing your models to schools.
  11. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

Love the builds and your dedication to the education of our youth. I especially like the way you incorporated the educational background to your models. The model is the eye candy and the info is the main course. GREAT JOB!!!
  12. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Thanks for the kind words - actually USAF retired after 28 years (still decompressing). Big Navy presence around Pensacola, but from Navarre to Panama City it's USAF with Hurlburt (Spec Ops), Eglin (lot's of booms on the horizon from the Armament Center), and Tyndall (ranges, F-22 schoolhouse, and 1st AF for homeland air defense). Like you, I avoided the immediate return as civil service or contractor. I keep the connection working education for the AF Association Chapter and writing (ranting) for the professional military journals.

SilverOxide (Ok, must be a joke about tarnish in there somewhere ...)
    I love the building but don't have the space for displays like Padre's superb collection - the wife's penguin collection already fills the spare bedroom. Most of what's on the albums I uploaded here is already out to various teachers - solar system tour and telescopes likely for next school year. Also serves as "bribes" for local teachers to help out at various community educational events (always go with the pros I say). Work a table for the kids, get a rocket (or a rocket garden) for your classroom.
    If your looking for an easy way to get kids excited, take a look at the $10 PVC straw rocket launcher (and associated science activities) posted in the "misc" section of the downloads on Jon Leslie's site at the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger center ( http://jleslie48.com/ ).

Paper Rockets.jpg

Maico, glad to help. I haven't the raw talent of Ton or the skills of the serious designers in the community - but I figure if I can do it the kids can too.

13. He! that's strange :confused:
    I posted a link to Alfonso X Moreno's (aka AXM61),site ,A well respected member here, he offers the complete line of the Spaceshuttle( and more) for free on this website
    and there is a thread about that here: http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156655
    Does that mean we are no longer allowed to post links to that site?
  14. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Thanks Billy - been to Alphonso's site. Built one of his shuttles (downsized to 1:200 to match other launchers) as part of the rocket garden for a local school teacher. Likely will build another sometime, after the telescopes. His ISS is amazing, and intimidating. He's also got a link to CSIRO's simple ISS model.

aforementioned rocket garden
  15. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Another scope

Just got done fiddling with the James Webb model from NASA. Looked like a simple one ...

Lot's of extra tabs were needed and some pieces need adjustment or redesign before I do another. Sun shields are bond paper, but the parts are not well sized so you get a little more simulated fabric billow than I'd like. Instructions and parts show conflicts in how to mount the instrument "hut" behind the mirror. Major parts have relatively little detail - may not be a final design yet - otherwise no excuse not to use the printer to add accuracy and interest (not very hard to add the star tracker [done] and HGA [to do]). Likely a good candidate for a redo and submit to NASA.

Anyway...it still shows an interesting contrast to the Hubble. No scale stated in the Webb plans, but depending on how you measure the 21' across the mirror, it seems pretty close to 1:48 like the Hubble model. Bigger mirror but designed to sit far away from the planet behind its parasol (no need for Hubble's barrel around the optics). It should be useful in the classroom when they talk astronomy or spaceflight - yah, I'll probably do another with the fixes.
  16. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Thanks for the all the cool images, also for a reminder that Leslie's site is always adding new things.

I am a teacher, too, and have brought my models to school and even have a paper modeling club. The kids love it. I'll make the launcher because it is a great activity to hammer home Newton's Laws of Motion.

Science rocks!
  17. jparenti

jparenti Member

Very, very, very nice models. I've done your MRO, Magellan, and SOHO, and I hope I can get my hands on that Solar Probe and MESSENGER soon, too. :D

Attached Files:

18. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Whoa - outstanding craftsmanship. You sure that's my design? Very nice. Any problems I need to fix?

The Solar Probe and MESSENGER are out to the NASA teams right now to see if they want to post them for their outreach/education programs (if not they'll end up with Jon).

I'll see if I can figure out how to send you an attachment with the other two - they're in PowerPoint right now, will that work for you? Jon did the PDF conversions on the others (too cheap to spring for the full Acrobat package).

19. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

There is also a simple Voyager posted at the LHVCC - 1:48 scale, similar in complexity to Ton's Pioneer (but mine is not even close to the detail in Ton's Voyager).

20. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

It's gratifying to see educators using crafts in the classroom. I was never so fortunate as to have teachers who wandered from the textbook or encouraged a hobby outside of athletics.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.