Just a very good idea

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by paper warrior, Nov 9, 2006.

1. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

The folks here are just completing a new center and I believe they would jump at a chance to do something like this. If interested I can ask for rates, options and what connections they have established with the local motels. Besides, being nearly dead center between Lexington and Ashland Kentucky there's a lot of places to go and see.

What time frame is being considered?

2. Sumato

Sumato Member

A convention for us US/Canada folks would be groovy. It will take a LOT of planning. We really really need to develop some 'hype' about it well in advance, to let as many know about it as possible. Every forum, every bulletin board. Also let those IPMS folks in on it too, to spread awareness of our (obviously) superior modeling medium.
  3. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

4. Erik J

Erik J Member

Start off by holding small annual 'conventions' regionally, like West Coast, Rocky Mountains, Midwest, Eastern, Southern, Texas. Since the meetings would be fairly small, places like Ramada Inn would be more than adequate, are everywhere, and are affordable. Notify the area IPMS plastic clubs to stop in and help introduce them to the hobby. As this concept grows, we could expand them with workshops, seminars, and contests. Lots of organizations do this sort of event (i.e IPMS), so we do have good examples to follow if we just look around.

- Erik
  5. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

Is this still live?

I'd be interested in going, and I bet Chip of Fiddlersgreen fame would love to attend.
  6. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Why in the US. There are a lot of guys on here from around the world. Why not have the meeting somewhere neutral.. The moon. Just kidding. How about somewhere in europe as it seems most of the card modeling companies are in eastern europe. How about Poland. I have not been there- another stamp in the passport.
  7. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hello Everyone,

Any updates on The Grand CardModels.Net Meeting? Where? When?

It's a great idea...

I can always get my wife to travel to Las Vegas for a weekend.

8. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I'm moving in a few months and I haven't found any place suitable so maybe not right now. Although if someone here has a house big enough...
  9. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

That'll have to be some kind of warehouse...
  10. Clashster

Clashster Member

Well, not sure if anyone one would like to come to South Florida in the winter :)roll: ), but I would be happy to check out some places. My company has had our Christmas meetings at a place right on the beach in Fort Lauderdale... Must not have been too expensive... you know how corporations are these days! :twisted: Anyway, if there is a serious interest... I don't think air fares to Ft Lauderdale are too bad from most of the big cities...

11. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

So this is going to be an american only party then?
  12. Clashster

Clashster Member

I'm not trying to make it exclusive! I just offered to look into it if there was an interest in coming here! :grin: Certainly, if there is not, no big deal! Personally, I would love to go to Europe... just not sure if I can afford it! :(

13. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Don't get me wrong, I would love to come to america for a card model party, whichever state. And I am sure the other members would like to have a get together, but to have a proper cardmodels.net forum party would take years to plan and save up for. I for one would like this to happen and I would like to meet the other guys on the forum, have a show and tell. I.E. show models off, have learning sessions. I think it would be a hoot.
    Have it in one members country one year then another members county another year. I would love to go to Korea.
    It would cost a fortune but it would be worth it to see other builders models in the flesh.
  14. Clashster

Clashster Member

I agree - it would be great to start a yearly tradition and vary the locations - North America, Europe, Asia etc etc. Perhaps if there is a genuine interest, we could start off with small regional ones and build from there! Doing an international one would require a lot of planning and feedback from members on what they would be interested in doing... Hence, start small, get bigger as we go... Perhaps a get together at someones house for people in your area... Then, a regional meeting at a certain location (an area that has a lot of interest for modeling...), National, international, solar system... We just need to get the ball rolling somehow! As for a local meeting here in Florida, I know of only one other member in Fla! (that's you, Mike) and we are on opposite sides of the state!

15. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I will come and stay with you in Florida, better weather. Apart from the twister's the other day. Can we make it the same time as a shuttle launch. Only kidding about staying at your house. I am planning on coming to the US next year to see a launch and visit houston. If the forum is still around then, I would like to meet up with a few of you guy's. I will start a thread when I start planning the trip.
  16. Clashster

Clashster Member

Cool! 8) I am about four hours from KSC, yet somehow have never been there... Of course I work a mile from the ocean, but I never see that either... :grin:

17. silverw

silverw Member

Hi Chris..

We were in Florida last week! Drove 1200 miles back and forth between Miami and Daytona. Three days in Ft Lauderdale .... good thing I didn't know you were there .... I might have looked you up! :)

.... Bill
  18. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Lots of pilots here, anyone have a hangar big enough for about 20-45 people?